Worried Wednesday

Monika went back to the room while I went to Keith's room to get some of my clothes. I made sure to be quiet since Keith was sure to be asleep. Upon opening his closet, I realized that I left a lot of clothes here. How didn't I notice earlier?

I grabbed some clothes and headed downstairs to go to take a shower. While I was in the shower, I suddenly realized that I didn't know where the brass knuckles were. Maybe Monika knew? Or maybe Keith. I'd have to ask both of them.

After I finished my shower, I got dressed and headed to the room with Monika. She was on her phone, most likely playing Color Switch again.

"Hey Monika, have you seen the brass knuckles?"

"Oh yeah, you fell asleep them them on your hand, so I took them off and put it up here." She grabbed them from the nightstand.

"Oh alright, just wanted to be sure. Thanks Monika."

She smiled. "No problem, Danny."

I got my backpack and checked for my switchblade. Sure enough, it was in there. I put it in my pocket so that I could have it if the situation ever called for it. I then lied next to Monika and watched her play her game. After a couple of minutes, she got bored and just lied with me, where we ended up falling asleep again.

Keith woke us up at around 8:10. I grabbed the brass knuckles and put them in my left pocket, since my switchblade occupied the right. I grabbed my backpack and followed Keith to his truck, along with Monika. We got into the truck and Keith drove us to school. A silent car ride once again.

We soon got to the school. When Keith parked the truck, Monika and I headed to the cafeteria instead of the band hall. I assumed that Monika would be confused as to why we were doing so, but she didn't say anything. No one said anything. She just followed me.

I was starting to worry a little. I thought things were gonna be better after the talk we had, but it seems as though we just became distant. Was she waiting for me to say something? Did she not want to talk to me?

Alright Danny, stop overthinking it. Just eat your breakfast.

I gave Monika my apple since she probably wasn't interested partaking in the HAM and cheese croissant. I gave it to her, but she just left it on the table and looked at it. I guess she wasn't hungry.

After we...

Sorry. After I ate, I took her to the band hall. But I couldn't leave her just yet.

"Hey Monika, you've been quiet. Is everything alright?"

She gave me a subtle smile. "Yeah, everything's fine. I've just been thinking about stuff."

"What have you been thinking about?"

"Just about what I'm gonna do today. Not much really."

"Are you sure that's all you're thinking about?"

Her smile widened. "Yup! Don't worry Danny, everything's okay."

Was that a fake smile? I was almost sure of it. Could she still be bothered by yesterday's events? But why?

"Okay then. I, uh, I'll be back to pick you up for lunch."

She nodded and headed inside the hall.

No hug, no words.

I headed to my first block. Nothing significant. I headed to my second block. Nothing significant. I headed to my third block. Nothing significant. It was all the same.

I left my third block early just like I normally do, nothing different there. I headed towards the band hall. It was nearly empty like it usually was. I headed towards the music room where I expected to find Monika. I didn't hear anything on the way there, so I assumed she was just using her phone or thinking again. I approached the door to the music room. As I opened it, I heard sobbing.