Chapter Twenty-Four

-------------

Kenzie's POV

---------------------

Mark enters the room, and takes in a deep breath, "Have you OD'd before?" He asks.

"W-what?" I ask, shifting a little, so I was sitting up.

"Have you overdosed before?" He asks, walking closer to me.

"Why does it matter?" I ask, fiddling with my fingers.

"Because.." He pauses, "Kenzie- the doctors say you're kidney's.. well, not healthy." He says quietly.

"What do you mean?" I ask, looking up at him.

"They say they'll have to operate.." He explains, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Like- surgery?" I ask under my breath.

He nods.

"No- no! I'm not getting surgery done!"

"Ken, that tube that's going into your stomach is the thing keeping your kidney alive! If you don't get surgery, you're going to have that tube in forever!" He replies, worry in his eyes.

What if I die during surgery?

Well, I mean that's not all bad...

But still... it seems scary.

"What if they mess up..?" I ask nervously.

"They won't." He says confidently, "If not for yourself, then please, get the operation done for me... please." He pleads.

"Fine..." I mumble.

"Really?" He smiles.

I nod, "Since when has my boyfriend gotten so confident in doctors?" I smile.

"Since my girlfriends life is in their hands." He smiles back me.

Considering the nurses had put me on Xanax, I'd been getting sleepy really often, so every hour or so, I would knock out.

After about my third nap, Mark had gotten used to it.

-----

I look down at myself, and see myself in a blue shirt, and blue pants.

Looking around, I notice the only light in the room is the one above me. Everything else in the room is dark.

I'm sitting on a hospital bed, and all the tubes in my arm are gone.

"Mark?" I call into the void, only to have my voice echo.

I turn, to get off the bed, only to have a pair of hands push me back down.

I begin to see people.

Five of them. All wearing surgical masks.

Two of them hold me down by the shoulders, while two more hold down my legs.

I see one of them grab a scalpel, a small operation knife, and stroke his finger across the blade.

Any attempt in me screaming came out silent.

"Don't worry, you'll be normal soon enough." The one with the scalpel says.

"No! Please!" I cry, my voice scratching against my throat.

"You want to be normal don't you?" He mocks.

"Please, just let me go! Please!!" I beg, tears streaming down my face.

"Kenzie?" One of them says.

I don't know which one considering I'm trying to get away from all of them.

"Kenzie?" The voice gets louder.

My eyes fly open, as I'm greeted by a plain white ceiling.

"Ken?" Mark calls for me, his hand on my shoulder.

My breath is caught in my throat, and I struggle to sit up.

"You okay?" He asks, helping me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Wassup?"

"Liam called and said I have to pick up Ron... will you be okay while I go get him?" He asks, searching my eyes for an answer.

"Uh- yeah, I'll be fine." I reply, catching my breath.

"I'll be back before you know it." He smiles, kissing me on the forehead, and leaving.

I reach for the glass of water on the tiny side-table next to me, and take a few sips, calming down.

"It was just a dream." I mumble to myself.

Okay. I should not talk to myself. It'll just convince these physco doctors I'm insane.

As I put the glass back in it's place, a nurse comes in and gives a smile to someone outside my room.

I just ignore whoever it is, thinking it's probably a doctor or therapist.

I hear the person walk in, and greet me, "Hey. Heard you had an accident." She snickers.

I'd recognize that voice anywhere... Roquelle.