Lesson 18

Monty watched sadly from his spot on the bed as Adisa began to pack a suit case filled with clothes and other things. Adisa had been accepted for early admission into his top med school and was now packing up to move into some dorm three hours away from the apartment the couple had made their home.

Monty had held back his tears for a month since they got the request for early admission. Adisa had been dodging the question on when exactly he had to leave the city. Monty held onto him tightly at night- hoping Adisa didn't decide to take off in the middle of the night. Now the tears were pushing from behind Monty's eyes. Adisa held onto a sweater Monty bought for him and looked to the blond. The first tear shed then, and it wasn't Monty's.

"They never told me how hard it was going to be after falling in love" Adisa said and that was the que for Monty to start crying.

Adisa left the sweater on the counter and sat next to Monty on the bed. he wrapped a long arm around the younger man shoulders and pulled him to rest on his chest. Monty's hands made tight fists in Adisa t-shirt and he sobbed quietly.

"you were never part of the plan" Adisa whispered, "finding you and falling so deeply in love was never what I came here for, but I am so beyond thankful for you Montgomery"

"I know you have to go but I don't want to let you out of this apartment" Monty confessed and Adisa smiled sadly.

"I know the feeling" Adisa rocked Monty back and forth slowly- trying the bring the both of them some peace, "it's only a few hours. I'll take the bus home every weekend if I don't have to study. I will call you every single day" Adisa ranted, "I'm going to miss waking up to you every day"

"It's only 9 months, right?" Monty asked, "In nine months I'll be there too, and we can live together again and sleep in the same bed every night and..." Monty cried harder.

"Shh" Adisa soothed, "Hush baby. I know this hurts. It sucks so much but you're right- it's nine months- you'll graduate undergrad and come with me to med school. You can bring Emen and we can help him get used to a whole new apartment."

"When do you have to leave?" Monty asked quietly.

"This coming Thursday" Adisa confessed, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner"

"I'm glad you didn't, I would have had more time to dread you leaving. I'm driving you, up right?" Monty asked.

"Yeah, if you still want to"

"Of course, I do. I wanna help you get packed up and then I'll drive home that night. Have you met your suitemate yet? Or talked to him?"

"I talked to him. He knows about us. He's moving from New York, so we haven't met up yet"

"Wow that's so far away" Monty commented.

Adisa rubbed his lovers back in circles. He knew this was hard for both of them but for Monty especially. They'd been together almost every day since the time they started dating. They lived together, cooked together, did schoolwork together, everything together.

"Think, he is leaving a girlfriend across the country. But they have a son and promise rings. If they can make it from all the way across the country, we can make it from just a few hours away" Adisa reasoned and Monty nodded.

"let's take a break" Adisa declared, "I'll make tea"

Adisa clambered off the bed and tugged Monty along with him. Adisa lead Monty to the living room and told him to sit on the couch while Adisa made tea. Once Monty sat down, he grabbed a throw pillow and pulled it close to his chest. Emen chose this moment to take the spot-on Monty's feet a take a nap.

Adisa paced in the kitchen until the tea kettle screamed and then he carefully poured two cups of blackberry tea. He dropped a sugar cube in Monty's cup because he was a fan of the sweeter things in life.

Adisa carried the cups into the living room and sat as close to Monty as he could without waking Emen from his slumber. He carefully handed a mug to Monty who reached out with both hands to take it.

"Thank you for being calm for me" Monty sputtered, "All the time. I know that when I was in the hospital and this is so crazy stressful but here you are all stoic and calm, holding me while I cry"

"Your strength gives me strength" Adisa said sipping on his tea, "the fact that are able to talk so calmly about all that you've been through has made me able to stay calm because I now know. This if you can go through that and still smile, I can handle anything to be with you"

Monty smiled and held a hand out for Adisa to take. Adisa bent his head down and kissed Monty's hand.

"Your locs have grown out" Monty commented, "do you want me to respin them?"

"That'd be amazing"

"Anything for you"

Guys I am so sorry that this is so shit and the fact that I've been gone forever on this story. I don't really have any excuse other than college/lack of inspiration. But I will try so hard to get back on this as my last seven weeks of freshman year are coming up and then I will have the whole summer to write! (besides working)

I love you so much for sticking with me- the next chapter will hopefully be up in a week.

-T XOXO