Cynthia

*Ji-Hoon's perspective*

It's late at night when I wake up abruptly to an unfamiliar feeling around me; the bed is wet.
"Namjoon, wake up! My water broke!" I yell as I aggressively nudge my husband. Namjoon grunts and slowly stretches, not realizing what's happening. I remind Namjoon of what I've just said and his eyes widen. It's 3 in the morning but suddenly Namjoon is wide awake and he hops out of bed, eyes gleaming with excitement. He starts to pester and urge me to go to the hospital, but I explain that it's too early.
"My water just broke and I'm only have contractions every half an hour. I want to wait a little longer." My heart is pounding and I can feel the excitement and anxiety building up in me. Namjoon and I had spent the last few months doing everything we can to prepare; reading articles on childbirth, going to birthing and parenting classes, even studying what both I and the child should eat after childbirth. I know that we're prepared but there's still a part of me that's nervous.

*Namjoon's perspective*

My mind is racing. I knew this day was going to come but it's a lot crazier when it's actually happening. I just want Ji-Hoon to go to the hospital now, just to be safe. But she refuses. My heart is racing. Her contractions are happening every ten minutes, but she says wait until they happen five minutes apart before we leave.
"The hospital is half an hour away; we should leave now just in case," I push the idea of going to the hospital on her, not wanting anything bad to happen on the way their.

Finally, she agrees with me. I help her out to the car and we take what we need and go. I feel like I'm driving a race car because I'm driving well above the speed limit.
"Slow down, we're not in a hurry and I don't want us getting into an accident-" swerve. I almost hit someone on a left turn. Ji-Hoon is right. I slow down and try to calm my nerves. It was all so exhilarating. We didn't know the gender of our child yet; we wanted it to be a surprise. I want it to be a boy, so I can teach him how to play sports and dance. But Ji-Hoon wants a girl who she can show how to do makeup and sing. If it's a girl, she wants to enrol her in ballet and gymnastics. Boring.

By the time we make it to the hospital, Ji-Hoon is starting to feel her contractions come more frequently and she becomes more impatient.
"Stay in the car," I demand. I rush into the doors of Emergency Care and yell for a nurse, explaining that my wife is in labour. Quickly and swiftly, there is a team of nurses and doctors carting my wife into a birthing room. I hear a doctor call out, "6cm!" It was then that I realized that this was really happening. Our baby was really coming. When had life become so crazy?

We were in the room for hours. The doctors kept talking with worried expressions and I couldn't help but ask why. Their answer made my heart stop.

"You're baby's heartbeat is almost nonexistent. We don't know if it'll survive."