''I agree with Gavin,'' you piped up. 

''It's Greg!'' He fumed. 

''Could you both shut up for just one second?'' Sherlock snapped. You both closed your mouths, drawing a sigh from Sherlock's lips. ''Thank you.'' He fell silent again as he stared off into the distance. 

You knew he was thinking, so this time, you kept quiet and let him. 

For weeks, you had been chasing after one of the most wanted serial killers in London. He had been inactive for many years, but as of recently, he had decided to fall back into old traditions. 

It only took one murder for Sherlock to recognise the pattern, and Scotland Yard immediately set up one of the biggest cases Lestrade had ever witnessed with his own eyes. It was hectic, unorganised and there was still so little certainty. 

You couldn't seem to figure out what had sparked the killer's bloodlust again. All that Sherlock had been able to deduce so far was a pattern in the appearances of the victims. 

He knew that with every murder committed, the serial killer could possibly become smarter, more careful and even more dangerous. He had to be caught as quickly as possible before even more people became a victim. 

Though, that wasn't the only thing on Sherlock's mind. 

Ever since the case emerged again, he had been working on it day and night. You were no stranger to the labour either. And it was because of your involvement that Sherlock began to notice something. 

Something that didn't settle well with him at all.

All the victims so far had similar appearances. Whether they were identified as male or female, they all had the same trademark looks; (H/C) hair, (E/C) eyes, (S/C) skin. 

At first, he didn't really notice. You were with him all the time, he had gotten used to you. But as more bodies seemed to pile up, he noticed their resemblances to you. It hadn't left his mind since. 

He had become paranoid and afraid that someday he'd receive a call from Lestrade, notifying him of yet another body. He became afraid that that body would be you. So the urgency of catching this notorious murderer became even more apparent. You were his best friend and he couldn't bear to lose you. It was why the detective had become so snappy towards you. He was trying to create some distance between you to save himself the pain of ever losing his friend. 

For weeks, Sherlock was frustrated that he got absolutely nowhere with the case. It seemed like this killer was some sort of evil mastermind, unable of messing up. 

The essence of catching a serial killer was always to wait until they made a mistake. And finally, after so many years, this mastermind had done it. He had messed up, and now Sherlock was going to put him behind bars once and for all. 

He was going to save you and countless of other people. And he was going to do it today.

''He made a mistake,'' Sherlock muttered, his back turned towards you. 

''What was that?'' Lestrade asked. 

The detective slowly turned around, a smile spreading on his face. ''The killer. He made a mistake.'' 

Your eyes widened. ''He did? How?!'' 

''The killer got cocky. His record was off the charts and he took it for granted. He didn't plan the murder out this time as carefully as he has done in the past. And that was his downfall.'' Sherlock noticed your clueless expression and rolled his eyes. ''Look at the crime scene. Really look at it. It's messy, not clean like all the other ones. He had to rush and left behind bits and pieces of evidence.''