Black and Grey

Hi, guys! Just a quick break from the requests to write an idea of my own. I don't do this often but I really enjoy showing you my own ideas instead of requested songs and ideas. I will write all the requests, though. There are just so many and it's overwhelming, so this is just my way of not losing myself in the ocean of others' ideas. I hope it's okay : )

To avoid confusion, this is based on a soulmate AU where people can't see colour until they meet the one.

<♥>

Life was dull. The grass was dull, clothing was dull, people were dull and even the sky was dull. Everything was a mix of the same two colours; black and grey. 

To many people, the world was a boring place. Life hadn't been kind to them yet and the hope of finding their soulmate was ever so far away. You were one of them. 

You could only guess what the world around you looked like. Bright colours were a pale grey, darker colours leant more towards black. People around you tried to describe how beautiful the planet was. But they had found their soulmates and you hadn't. And you doubted you ever would. 

The world would forever be a boring place to you. You couldn't love, you didn't know how. Every second of the day, you wondered if you even had a soulmate, someone who was waiting for their colour to come in their life. Without love, there was no such thing as a soulmate or the one. It was all just a story other people were living and talked about. 

You had frequently asked someone to explain what colour looked like. They'd usually say something like 'Well, it's red' or 'It just looks like blue' and when you'd ask them to describe it more accurately, you'd get answers like 'The colour of love' and 'The colour of heartbreak'.

It was just an endless road for you, leading absolutely nowhere. No one could tell you what red and what blue looked like and how beautiful they were. It was just useless. You wanted to see the colours for yourself but that was just a dream that would never come true. At least, not for a very long time.

Years had flown by but not once had you been able to accept the fact you couldn't see a rainbow in its full potential. 

It was the middle of the night as you made your way back home from work. Your best friend and co-worker, Greg Lestrade, had been gushing to you for hours how amazing his life was now. He had met his soulmate and was finally able to see the colour around him. He came running into your office earlier in the day, shouting that a certain Mycroft Holmes had opened the treasury of the world for him. 

Greg had never really been the poetry or literature type in your eyes, but once he started going on about colour, it was almost Shakespeare to you. 

To say the least, he had pissed you off and you left work in a faulty mood.

You stopped at a local park and sat down on a bench, looking up at the sky. It was a pitch black colour littered in small, pale grey dots and a single large one. People had told you how stunning the night sky was but you didn't see it. The light shade of the moon and the stars reflected off the blackness but they also seemed to blend into the colour of the atmosphere. It was all just one big mix of again, black and grey. 

It seemed to fade into each other the longer you looked at it and it was the most frustrating thing. The stars didn't jump out and neither did the moon nor the rest of the world. It was all just dull. Ugly and dull. You were sick of the eternally monotonous world.

You let your head rest on the back of the bench, forcing yourself to keep looking at the sky. A tear slid down your cheek. ''Please, please, let me meet my soulmate,'' you whispered softly to no one in particular. ''I just want to see the colours like others do.''