CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

Dylan uses both hands to comb his hair back. "I can't keep putting myself through this. It's why I disappeared in the first place. I'm worried sick about her."

I try to refrain from pushing my way into the room at the sound of her wails. "How did you find her?"

He looks at me. "Her uncle called from a pay phone. Said she was in trouble and I needed to come pick her up."

I nod. "Right. I can't help but feel like this is all my family's fault."

"It wouldn't have helped if they upset her, but she's very vulnerable and struggles to deal with a lot of things."

"She was doing so well," I whisper.

"Mental health is a weird thing," he shakes his head. "You can be fine for years and then suddenly the world seems heavy on your shoulders, and you're back to square one."

The curtain pulls back, and the nurse pops her head around the corner of it. Smiling she says, "One of you can come in here."

"I'll come," I rush, and Dylan doesn't argue.

Tilly is on her side with her head flat on the single pillow. Eyes closed tight. Not wasting any time, I rush over and kneel on the floor, kissing her forehead when she opens her eyes.

"Don't speak," I say, hating every minute of her sadness. "I'm here. I'm not leaving you, Tilly."

The doctor clears his throat. "If you could stand on the other side of the bed, Sir. We need to be able to come in on this side."

I jump up and rush to the other side of the bed and mumble, "Sorry."

"Right, we're going to add the saline now," The doctor says in a soothing tone.

The strands of Tilly's hair fall through my fingers. It's horrific. I can't believe we're in this situation. God, she looks so poorly.

The nurse tells her that she's doing well as the tears flood down her cheeks. I rest my arm over her stomach when her body starts to shake, kissing the back of her head.

"Oh, here come the tablets," The doctor says, counting four.

The sounds in this room are going to give me nightmares.

Tilly gags and then snorts, eyes wide and bloodshot.

"Don't spit it out. Swallow it," the nurse says, pushing the tube back down her throat.

My stomach turns in sympathy.

It's more than fucking horrendous. It's barbaric.

More water drips into the bucket, and it sounds like pennies falling into the fountain.

"Okay, we're all out."

The doctor stands back with the bucket, eyes fixated on its contents.

"You're fine," the nurse says to Tilly, wiping her face with a paper towel. "You did well."

"Hmmm," Tilly moans, shuddering a few times. "Lee. Lee, I'm sorry," she sobs.

I blink extra hard to stem my tears, not wanting it to be about me. "It's okay, my brave girl. I love you. I love you."