CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Tilly

Bailey won't stop apologising, asking me to promise her that I'm okay. Clara's appearance has shaken her up something chronic - Noah too. After a call to the police, they assured us that Clara wouldn't be bothering them anymore. Apparently, she tricked her mother into thinking she had a therapist appointment, taking a detour to the deli instead.

"I'm happy with how you fit in here," Bailey says, counting the pennies at the end of the day.

It's closing time, and she's come to cash up, wanting to start easing herself back into work.

I pin all of the refunds together with a paper clip. "I'm so pleased. I love it here. Fran is lovely, and the customers make it fun. You've got a great business."

It must have been the right thing to say because her smile is electric.

"When's your shift at the shelter?" Noah says, munching on the leftover flapjack.

I check my watch. "I need to be there in an hour to help Pat with the cooking."

My stomach sinks when I remember Levi won't be there tonight. Dexter has a football match they can't miss.

Bailey starts to write down on her sheet. "You go, honey. I don't want you to miss your bus."

"Are you sure?"

If I go now, I can catch the ten-past-five. And be at Angels by quarter-to-six. When Bailey insists that I leave, I grab my purse and jacket, running down the road towards the bus stop. Adverts Go in darkness, no one working late.

Pat is already putting the homemade fishcakes in the fridge to set when I get to the shelter. We say hello, talking about our days, frying the chips and grilling the fishcakes until the doors open and the hungry customers are flooding inside.

"What's on the menu tonight?" Lauren, one of the homeless says, arriving first. "It smells delicious."

"Fishcakes and chips," I respond, starting to spoon on the mushy peas. "How are you doing?"

Lauren watches me, her eyes transfixed on the food. "Good. I'm moving into my house next week. Can't wait."

"That's come around so quickly. Do you like the area it's in?"

Lauren takes the plate and steps to the side so I can serve the others. "It's lovely. There's a massive park opposite with a duck pond."

"Sounds gorgeous."

I greet the man who approaches with a smile, quickly getting him served up. Thursdays can be slower, giving us more time to tidy up as we go and the customers more food to eat.

"It comes furnished and everything." Lauren munches on a chip.

"That's such good news," I say, smiling in her direction, pointing to the benches. "You better go and grab a seat before you're forced to eat standing up."

"I'll speak to you later," she tells me, rushing over to the benches near the closet.

"How you doing on the cakes?" Pat shouts through from the kitchen, skin glowing red from the heat in there.

"I'll need a few more when you're ready."

"I'm frying the last batch," she disappears, leaving me once more.

"Where's Levi tonight?" One of our regulars asks when he reaches me, fingers wrapping around the plate.

I can feel it too. The void without his presence.

"Levi's watching his brother play football tonight. It's an important match." I try to keep the disappointment out of my tone.

"Ah, well tell him he's missed," he grumbles, scurrying off to find a seat.