Chapter 8- To the Moon

Start from the beginning

Having had enough of being manhandled, I pull away from Hank's stronghold and shout, "Keep your damn hands off me! Y'all are a bunch of delusional drunks if you think I would ever let you touch me!" I proclaim as I shove Hank's chest.

His eyes darken and narrow as he looks at me in disbelief. "You're gonna wish you hadn't done that," he growls with a sly smile on his disgusting face.

Before I register what is happening, my body flies over the porch steps and I painfully land on the dirt. The wind is knocked from my lungs and there is pain radiating from my jaw. A crack of thunder calls out overhead as I look up at the three men.

Picking up his jar of moonshine, Hank looks down on me in disgust. "Have fun breaking her in boys," he spits before walking back into the house.

My breathing becomes labored as Billy and Jim slowly walk down the steps and prowl towards me.

"What'd ya say, Bill? Let's go teach this little bitch some manners," Jim sneers.

I scramble to get away but the two men grab me by the hair and ankles. I fight back. With everything in me, I fight back. The percussion of thunder and flashes of lightning play in rhythm with my heartbeat. Loud, accelerated, and silencing my tears.

They drop me on the floor of the shed. The outbuilding is musty and illuminated by a single light bulb hanging from a chain. The shadows play across the room as the light sways. Fear grips my throat as I look up at Billy and Jim. Their eyes have changed and their predatory stances cause me to whimper. "Please, don't do this," I beg.

I scream as the men pounce. Hands grip my shirt and yank it overhead. I scratch and claw until my wrists are roughly held above my head. My screams are silenced by a rough kick to the side.

"Shut the hell up, you dumb bitch!" Jim growls.

"No, be loud! I like the sound of your screams," Billy says with a hint of laughter in his voice. I gasp for air and go still when Billy leans across my hips and nuzzles my throat. After he takes a long, exaggerated sniff he looks in my eyes, "Do you smell that, Jim?" he asks. "It's fear. Are you afraid, Little Kitten?" The shed walls vibrate as the sound of thunder explodes above. The heavens unleash buckets of rain which pelt the tin roof and drown out their laughter. I use the moment of distraction to free one of my hands and claw out, scratching Billy's face.

Roaring in anger, Billy punches me and yells, "Dammit, Jim! Hold her down! Put your knees on her shoulders and don't let her go!" I feel his hands reach for my jean buttons as Jim's knees force my back and shoulders to dig into the graveled ground.

"Wait," Jim holds Billy's shoulder, "Why do you get to go first?"

"Fucker, you'll get your two seconds when I'm done. Now hold her down!" Billy demands.

Jim shoves Billy, "Fuck you!"

The two begin to argue and fight and I take the opportunity to crawl away. With adrenaline coursing through my body, I reach for a shovel leaning against the shed wall and swing towards Billy's head. Before his body hits the ground, I swing around and make contact with Jim's gut and quickly knock him over the head. I paused staring at the two motionless bodies at my feet. Grabbing my shirt and pulling it over my head, I race through the storm towards the house. Realizing that Hank is probably still awake, I quietly make my way through the back door and peek into the living room. Water pools at my feet as I assure myself that Hank is passed out in his recliner, snoring like a freight train. Seizing the backpack I had hidden under my bed, I check to make sure the envelope momma gave me is still tucked away inside. Throwing on my hoodie, I step into momma's room and place a kiss on her cheek stirring her awake.

"My sweet girl," she whispers with tears filling her eyes. "Run, Everly. Run. Don't look back."

My throat tightens as I press my forehead against my mother's, "I love you, Momma," I whisper.

"To the moon, my sweet girl," she quietly cries.

I snatch the keys to Hank's truck and drive away as water continues to pour down from the skies.

***

I look at the faces around the table and clear my throat. "After I drove away, I did what momma said. I drove to Lexington and bought the first ticket to Eureka Springs. The bus made several stops, but eventually, I got to town. The bus-stop was near the library, so I went in to use their computer. Printed directions to this address and started walking."

Looking at Danny's expression, I feel gutted. Suddenly, he stands up and storms out of the lodge with Mason and Micah running after him.

Feeling drained, I look towards the remaining group. "I'm tired," I mumble. "Think I'll go lay down for a while."

Uncle Charlie helps me stand and looks over to Zeke. "Help her to her room," he orders. "Kiddo, don't worry about Danny. I'll go talk to him. You go rest."

"Thanks, Uncle Charlie," I respond as I begin to walk to my room.

As I step near Zeke, I feel static in the air that prickles my skin from the inside out. Suddenly, my once tired body becomes abuzz with this new energy.

Rest. You need rest, Everly! I scold myself.

Unfortunately, my mind has other plans.