Interlude: Care

"Hi Andy."

She's standing infront of them. The flickering lights still allow him to notice the irritation at Sophie's face by the way the girl looks at him. Naramdaman niya ang mahigpit na kapit nito sa kanyang braso.

"Hi Paola! You're still in town." Hinawakan niya ang kamay ni Sophie na nakakapit sa braso niya. He acknowledges her gesture, and in a way to purposely show it to Paola.

Paola's brow raises a bit. "Yes, obviously. You are missing our night outs here, aren't you? Perhaps you know I'm around." Kinindatan pa siya nito.

"W-well..." He gives her an awkward smirk. "Have a great time, Paola." He tucks his arm around Sophie's waist and gently prompts her towards a group he recognizes instantly. His friends.

"I knew this place since my university days. And babe, I have no idea she's here."

"Are they friends with Paola, too?"

"Acquaintance. I've introduced her once, but they didn't really hang out together. She felt she was out of place."

He catches the sigh of relief at Sophie's expression. He's glad too that she gets along with his friends well.

"I don't like how Paola looks at yoi. Well, let me correct that. She's not looking. She's gawking!"

"Those piercing look you shot at her earlier? No doubt about that."

"That obvious? It's an instant reaction from a normal girlfriend against an intruder."

"Or defense mechanism," tukso nya rito. "You can't blame me if I notice those small details as my eyes are always set on you."

He catches her supressing a laugh. Even the tiny blushes that appear in the apples of her cheeks have not escaped his observant eyes. "Whatever. But I cannot let her presence ruin our night."

"That's my girl. I'll just go fetch you a drink. What do you want?"

"Cosmopolitan."

Iniwan niya si Sophie sa mga kaibigan, na ang ilan ay nakilala na rin nito sa kasal ni Dianne. Just upon reaching the bar he suddenly feels a tap on his shoulder. "Paola!" He tries to mask the disapointment in his tone by throwing her a smile.

"Drinks?" Inabutan siya nito ng bottled beer. He hesitates.

"I won't take no for an answer. Just one."

"Fine, just one." He drums his fingers on the bar counter as he waits for Paola to start a mini conversation. Ngunit nakatingin lamang ito sa kanya ng malagkit habang hinihimas ang bibig ng bote ng inumin nito. "So what's up? What have you been up to lately and how come you managed to stay this long?"

"I know you're gonna ask that." She settles on the barstool and crosses her legs, then smiles on her beer before she sips it.

"Thought Cambridge bores you."

She moves with the rotating seat towards his direction so her knees brushes his. And as her eye winks she says to him, "I just came to realize that geeks are the new sexy."

He feels his brows knit a bit. Pinigilan niya rin ang matawa. Nagbibiro ba ito? He knows exactly her kind of guys and university dudes don't appeal to her. Ni hindi nga niya alam kung ano rin ang nagustuhan nito sa kanya. Tingin niya ay hindi siya ganoon kaguwapo. Ngunit alam niyang isa sa panlaban niya ay ang maganda niyang mga mata.

When he was with Paola, she kept on telling him that his "dual character" attracted her the most. Sweet-looking guy next door by day and rugged artist by night. Being an artist was the hottest thing about him according to her, maybe one of the reasons he liked her in a way. Because Sarah never saw it in him.