Losing Focus

The sun was shining bright in the sky, beating humid rays on everyone, and probably causing some gross tan lines. The air was muggy, and it seemed to weigh everything down.

Lance was practicing with the football team, half of them wearing black jerseys, and the other half were wearing white. It would've been horrible for the ones wearing the darker color, because the heat showed no mercy.

They were only warming up, and Lance already found it exceedingly difficult to focus. He told himself that it was only the sweltering temperatures taking their toll, but that didn't seem to be the answer.

Keith was with the other cheerleaders, and being the only boy on the team was a little awkward. He really would've loved to get out of the tank top he wore, but it just wasn't considered 'appropriate' because there were girls around. Or so the school board had told them. Either way, he was nearly panting from the dense air and exercise.

" Okay, Ladies! And... Keith." Allura projected to the group around her. " Now that we're warmed up, we should plan out our stunts for Friday!" She said, and Shay, who stood right beside her, nodded. They always switched up stunt groups, mainly so that everyone could learn to work with everyone. It also prevented cliques from forming, that was really beneficial.

" What stunts were you thinking?" Asked Shannon, a cheerleader with light brown hair. She was nice enough, mainly because everyone on the cheer squad was friendly. Kind of unheard of right? It was the secret to their success as a squad, being able to do more than tolerate each other. Except Keith, he was just kind of there. He didn't have a problem with anyone on the team, but that didn't stop him from being a practical salt shaker sometimes.

" Basket tosses..." Allura said, staring at Keith directly. She knew that the idea of being thrown in the air scared him, but she wanted to try. Then again, she would be the one doing the throwing, and more importantly, the catching. Keith shifted a little bit, kicking his all white shoe at the ground.

" I- I really don't know if I can do that..." Keith stammered. Sure, he'd been all the way up before, but nobody had ever let go of him. If they threw him up he'd get launched like a rocket. He looked off to the side, watching the football players pass balls back and forth. His particular attention landed on Lance, who apparently was already gazing at Keith. Their eyes met in a short lived staring session, until Allura started snapping her fingers at him.

" I know that you can! How about we try it, and if you start feeling really scared after a few times we won't make you do it?" She reassured, while also trying to get Keith's focus back on her.

" Okay." Keith reluctantly agreed, Allura's alpha persona was something that he'd gotten used to over time. It was still very difficult for him to tell her no when it came to just about anything, though. " C-can we warm up a smaller stunt first?"

" Yeah sure." Allura said. And before he knew it, Keith was in the air again. Hands on his feet and ankles, as he absentmindedly looked around. He tensed up on instinct, and could feel Lance's eyes on him. About forty feet away, he was passing a ball with Hunk. The cheerleader might've accidentally smiled at him, and Lance might have been paying enough attention to notice it.

" Keith!!" Allura scolded, as he felt himself come down. He hadn't heard the call, so he'd been narrowly caught by the other members of the stunt group. " You have to pay attention! We could've dropped you!"

Keith felt himself breath heavily, still staring at Lance without a clue. " Hey! I'm talking to you!" She exclaimed.

" Wh-what?" Keith asked, standing up from where they'd caught him, which was scary close to the track.