Chapter 4: Love at First Fight

INT. LLOYD'S APARTMENT KITCHEN - DAY

Lloyd enters the kitchen and sighs. He takes a bowl and a box of cereal from the counter.

VOICE (OFF SCREEN): Lloyyyddd! Good morning!

Lloyd turns around and smiles. From his POV, we see a lady with orange hair kept in a loose bun with red chopsticks. She enters the kitchen carrying a loaf of bread, a purse and some groceries. This is KOKO, the mother of Lloyd.

Mid shot of Koko and Lloyd as she lovingly kisses Lloyd on the cheek and grabs a carton of milk from the refrigerator. They talk as Koko makes bowls of milk and cereal for the both of them.

LLOYD: Mom, hey can we talk about something?

KOKO: Sure, pumpkin pie. About what?

LLOYD: Garmadon.

Koko hesitates then passes a bowl of cereal to Lloyd.

KOKO: Okay?

LLOYD: So when you two got together, was Dad, like, a regular guy? Or was he always an evil warlord?

KOKO: I've never told anyone this but now that you're finally sixteen, I think you're old enough to know the truth. Believe it or not, your father wasn't always the evil warlord he is now and he didn't always have four arms. He used to be a pretty normal guy...

Koko pauses for a beat as we...

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK – EXT. NINJAGO CITY SKYLINE - DAY

KOKO (CONTINUED VOICE OVER): ...with quasi-godlike powers, just like his brother and every other citizen of the CLOUD KINGDOM.

Beginning the flashback, we dissolve to a shot of the clouds above the skyline. The clouds are entirely made of white Lego bricks. Then slowly, we pan down to Ninjago City and stop at the exterior of a sushi restaurant. The sign "OMAKASE SUSHI" can be seen outside the building.

 A man steps out the restaurant entrance, holding a package in his two arms. This is YOUNG GARMADON. He has black hair tied in a man bun, which is very similar, if not identical, to Cole's Lego hair piece. He also has thick black eyebrows, similar to Cole but he has red eyes. His skin is normal yellow Lego skin.  

A thief runs past Garmadon and grabs the package

GARMADON: Hey! My sushi!

The thief runs into an alleyway and Garmadon chases after him. We follow the thief as he turns several corners and laughs, thinking he has lost Garmadon. But the thief stops and reacts to a shadow that looms over him and jumps down on him.