Chapter 13 (Part 2)

D . a . n . i . e . l . l . e

     "WAIT, SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT... YOU'VE NEVER EVEN AT LEAST had some of the chili dogs from downtown? You must be living under a rock or something sweet heart," Tru smiles broad before letting out a large amused laugh. I watch as his eyes become chinky from the creases of his mouth opening up so wide. He looked so happy, at peace, and complete within himself. I have found that by spending time with Tru, he was a sure man. A man that felt confident enough about how he carried his being.

     The sun allowed it's rays to become those of a thick belt as they beat down on the two of us. We walked side by side, the bustling park in our atmosphere creating background noise. The wind had picked up its pace, ruffling the large, tall trees that were nearly touching the sky. The comfortable yet simple outfit I wore helped me stay cool in the smoldering heat. A white tank top and ripped, dark, stain washed jeans that cut off at the knee covered my body as one. A pair of classic white Nike sandals stick to my feet as the pleasant feeling of the surrounding breeze graces them. Tru looks down at me, the same smile plastered on his tattooed brown skinned face. The sun had hit them in the correct lighting, the brown orbs seeming more hazel than normal.

     "Yes, I, Danielle Leyani Carter, have never had a chili dog from downtown." I admit with the shrugging of my shoulders. He shakes his head, the fresh cut he sported with the hair grease he used gave a little bit of a reflection, mimicking that of an ocean.

     "We have to go down there some time to the main city and grab a couple, I'm telling you baby girl... They are the absolute shit." He rubs his hands together, a bad habit I noticed that he had since I have been seeing him more often. He was a nice guy, genuine and sweet. A lot of qualities I thought that he possessed, like being an asshole or being stuck up, were more than nonexistent. Tru was a different man than one would think he is from a first glance. Peeling back the many layers of him would be a task inside of itself but from the point where we once started up until now, I could tell that those same layers were softening little by little.

     "If I agree to go and get a chili dog from downtown," my face turns into an amused upside down smirk. Tru notices this and makes a sheepish face. "You have to try some of the best squid there is, at Kuno Pai. Which is also a restaurant downtown."

     "Wait a minute, what now?" His voice nearly shrieks. He had caught the attention of a small family just before us, their curiosity getting the best of them as they stare at us walk by. I boggle my eyes out with the way that he reacted to me, nearly laughing at how shocked he was. I may be a woman whom loved home cooked food more than anything but, a girl had to have her variety. Rayne and I had stumbled upon Kuno a while back after a successful night out on the town. I happen to love getting the famous squid from the family owned restaurant. It is absolutely packed with flavor pleasing to ones palette.

     "Sorry, did I say something wrong?" I can't help the chuckle that escapes my lips as I realize that Tru had stopped walking beside me. He was standing behind, in all of his brown skinned glory, eyes boring into mine. The black basketball shorts on his lower half make no room for the print seeping through without warning. A clean pair of white low forces on his feet, the matching white logo mimicking itself on the muscle shirt covering his tattooed chest. A dumbfounded look creeps its way onto his damp face. Tru nods his head before looking around as if he had misplaced something. I furrow my eyebrows, walking back to him with the rays of the sun hitting my back.

     "You okay?" I ask him, folding my arms across my bustling chest. Tru finally looks at me eye to eye with his face now perplexed and neck cocked to the side.