Chapter 3

D . a . n . i . e . l . l . e

6 Months Later

LOUNGING IN NOTHING BUT A LOOSE WHITE TEE AND Victoria's Secret PINK boy shorts, I cuddled up real close to myself. I had gotten use to being by my lonesome now. There had been nothing but time and more time to myself these passing months. My legs curl themselves under my body as I sat close to the ledge of my couch. The book Mahogany and all it's goodness sat open wide in my lap as I read through the enticing story. I found a lot about who I was as a person when I left Kane and one thing I did really learn was the fact that I loved to read. I would go as far to say that the book I was reading now could be number one in the urban literature genre. The author captured some key elements in the story that other authors couldn't.

Before I knew it, I had read all the way through the book to about the beginning of the 38th chapter. A cup of hot cocoa sits on the end table to my left and I grab it, not leaving my reading place. I take a sip, satisfied. The AC had just clicked on about time I put the cup down, reminding myself of why I had made the hot drink in the first place. I go back to reading, hearing the cool air circulate through the house. I begin to flip to the next page when a light but heavy knock came unto my front door. After leaving Kane to build a family with Janice about 6 months ago, I moved in with Rayne and stayed with her for about three months time. In those 3 months, I did many interviews with publicists and saved a lot of money from them. Eventually, I used a portion of the savings to purchase my own home. Even though I love Rayne to tiny pieces, I knew she needed her own space back and quite frankly, I was ready for my own space as well. So, I moved out and on.

I make a confused face and peer at my phone beside my leg. I tap at the large screen of my iPhone XS Max and it comes to life instantly. I immediately look at the late time. It was almost fifteen minutes past 10 o'clock at night and I hadn't made any type of plans with anyone. Besides Kane, my parents, and Rayne, I didn't have anyone else I knew close enough to invite over to my home. I was a lonely girl but a successful woman all in one. I groan and place the clear bookmark with my name on it in the folds of the novel. I finally stand up, going over to the front door. My eyes search through the peephole to see whom was there but, I found no one. Internally rolling my eyes, I crack open the door to peer out into the eerie dark night.

I look for about 3 minutes, not even thinking about stepping outside. I finally confirm with myself that no one was out there. I find it odd but just shrug it off for the time being. Finally deciding to close the front door back, I stop almost halfway when a note on it caught my attention. It had a nice piece of clear tape supporting it to stick properly. The yellow of the paper had been inked through with a black G2 pen. It was written in a nice cursive kind of handwriting, looking elegant in its own way. Hesitantly, I take the note from the door and the piece of tape that was used to pin it up. I looked around outside one last time before batting my eyes and closing it. The lock clicks as I turn it before placing my attention elsewhere. My hands open the folded note, reading carefully as I found my way back to the couch.

I genuinely love you and I wish you would just hear me out some time.
I understand that I entirely fucked up, but my intentions were to never hurt you in any way.
It's been months since I last seen you, and honestly, I would love to see you and explain my side of the story.
I scheduled a secluded lunch tomorrow at Marzae Piole, 11am sharp.

You can not talk to me or come and get the full truth which automatically guarantees some type of closure.
Kane *

Finally plopping myself strait down, I reread the letter for a second time around and actually let out a hugely amused laugh. If it had been a month ago I could have been the dumb girl running behind a cheating man again. I was wiser now though and I know what I'm worth regardless. Kane was the one that cheated on me and has the nerve to schedule a lunch, giving me an ultimatum. I scoff and sit back in the position I was before, thinking. I continuously run my hand over the note. I traced the way he made his letters and rolled my eyes. Truth be told, I missed him more than anything in the world as my best friend more than as my man.