Chapter 4

D . a . n . i . e . l . l . e

THE DISAPPOINTMENT IN ME BECOMES NOTICEABLE AS I grow confused. How could someone move that fast? Was I too much into my own staring trance that I didn't notice it or was he just built like that? My eyes glue to his now empty chair, defeated. Seeing as though I wouldn't be getting to know the man named Jah or if I could remember correctly, Jah'eim anytime soon, I decided to just go ahead and enjoy my time in the new club by my lonesome. Rayne was obviously occupied with her newly approved boo Montie and I couldn't blame her for it. If I had a man, I'd be all over him too like glue. I sigh with a hint of irritation. I was thinking about how she invited me out here to have a great time tonight yet instead decides to ditch me behind. As long as we come together, we leave together as well. Brushing some imaginary lint away from my skirt, I just stand tall and begin to decline the stairs alone.

    Slow Motion blares through the big speakers just below the balcony area and I feel the bass of the song heavily. It seemed as if the music was vibrating the entire place and I couldn't doubt that it wasn't. I spot the DJ again whom was standing with a red and black Beats headphone glued to his one ear. He now had a new set of Detroit buffs (glasses) on his face glistening under the club lights. I had to admit, he was playing all the right songs that people wanted to hear. Trey Songz is a definite panty dropper and in lit places like this one, you needed that to happen. Making a mental note to ask Montie if I could borrow him for the one time at my birthday party next year, I continue to waltz over to the bar. It was just behind the large crowd of people that seemed to grow even bigger since entering the place. My behind meets the cold steel of the black stool and I admire the neon lights before me flashing with the bass of the song.

    "What can I get for you tonight, beautiful?" A male bartender asks whilst cleaning out a shot glass with a white towel. His voice comes out forced because of the music and I notice. He was muscular, tall, and cute in the face with a taper faded cut on the sides. His lips spread into a smile, and eyes inviting. The sea of beard hairs he carried made him that much more handsome to me. I then noticed the tattoos all over him, more so the one on his face than the others. I peep a black teardrop under his left eye and dismiss it for now. The black and white work suit uniform tugs at his arms as he finishes the glass and sets it in front of us. Patiently, the bartender waits for me.

    "Uhm..." I browsed over the menu above my head. Large flat screen TVs showcased a slideshow of the variety of drinks the bar had to offer. Every single drink though, sounded like something you would do behind closed doors in a bed, with a sexual partner you desired to have for the night. "Can I try your Prime Time Special?"

    "Of course. Just give me a quick second and I will bring it up to you." The bartender smiles just before turning away from me. I watch as he uses his skills to grab a bottle Patron and six shot glasses. He sets them in front of 3 ladies before perfectly pouring them 2 equal shots a piece. In awe, the women accept them kindly before throwing them back. The bartender knew his job, and he knew it well. Strutting back to me, he takes a clean white towel from under the bar, grabbing a wine like glass from the dishwasher. Hand drying it, I watch as he gathers various liquors and flavor squeezes. I laugh a bit thinking of how I could never be a bartender. The other bartenders around us seemed to disperse as some went on a short break and others delivered drinks to host tables. Eventually, it was just me and the bartender.

     "You must like your job I see." I speak to break the silence between us.

     I'm in your ocean, it got me floating,