Chapter One

My eyes snapped open, without checking the time I already knew it was going to be 4:00am on the dot. I stopped needing the alarm after 2 years.

  Allowing myself to enjoy the peace and serenity while it lasted, I sat up resting my back on the wall while leaving my legs outstretched but crossed. The movement just about made me groan in pain but I just let out a shuddered breath and I buried my hands in my hair.

  After meditating on the bullshit called my life for about 30 seconds, I got up from my makeshift bed of clothes by the wall and made my way to the bathroom. I took a quick peek at my reflection before rolling my eyes and taking a quick shower with the cold water as usual.

  While I didn't actually mind the cold water sometimes I would kill for a hot bath. I so wanted a break sometimes but I just have to wait. I need to wait until I'm 18, once I'm 18 and legal I can leave this godforsaken place and take my brother with me.

  After my bath I quickly threw on a t-shirt and worn out joggers, wore my slippers and left the room. When I got to the kitchen the time was just 4:45 and I got to work preparing a shitload of food, you wouldn't understand I cook for a bunch of ravenous wolves, I mean that literally.

  Well, not wolves per say, werewolves, yknow those that shift? Yea well in case you didn't get the memo I'm a werewolf too, well not completely, I can't shift. Normal wolves shift when they turn 16 but I'm almost 18 so I'm an anomaly and the kids here never let me forget that.

  By 6:30 I was done making a mountain of pancakes and heaps of bacon and scrambled eggs. There was coffee, tea and juice. I quickly took a few pieces of everything and put them in nylon bags and hurried upstairs so I could eat. I devoured the food then moved to brush my teeth again to minimize the smell of the food.

After cleaning up any traces of the food, I went back to the kitchen to clean up. By 7am, more than half of the pack were already eating and I was busy cleaning up after them, picking up plates, washing immediately, at the same time delivering drink orders, keeping the coffee and tea hot, the juice cold. God if I was waiting in a restaurant I would be so fucking rich right now.

By 7:30 most of the teenagers were out and on their way to school. I wasn't allowed to further my education once I finished high school. You know, so I would have more time taking care of the pack house. I guess it's something I got used to. I'll turn 18 in 2 weeks and I honestly can't wait until I can leave this fucking place. I should probably give you a backstory yea?

Alright, so my name is Rylee Donovan, daughter to Thomas and Genevieve Donovan, the Betas of the pack. I'm the second born of the family and the only female, well I am now. My big brother Aiden is in line to be the beta of my pack, the Moonlight pack and then my cute little brother Jaxon. Growing up, I have always been the odd one out with the males in my family possessing the legendary dark chocolaty hair and eyes so dark it's almost black while my mom is a blonde with icy blue eyes and a personality to match. My twin sister, Claire Donovan had mom's trait too and then there was me, the outcast, I had fiery red hair that, trust me, even fire would be jealous I stole its color, warm green eyes that captures you and leaves you breathless. I was obviously different and it has been obvious from the beginning, like I was adopted. But they were my family, my twin sister was my best friend, my partner in crime until I killed her when we were 8. It was an accident, I didn't mean to. I wish I could turn back the hands of the clock.

Ever since then I have always been tolerated, my father barely pays attention to me, for 7 years I was ignored and treated like the devil's spawn, except for my angel of a little brother Jax, he never saw me differently. I was given the normal basic amenities, food, shelter, education so why should I complain, it's my fault anyway.

But then I turned 15 and things turned upside down. My parents have been nice to me, like they care and I was ecstatic, finally it's all coming around. On my birthday, my dad said he wanted to take me out, and I thought finally, someone cared about me. I dressed in my very best assuming we were, maybe, going to a carnival.
"Rylee! Come on, we're going to be late," dad bellowed. I finally put in the last pin in my hair and smiled at the mirror nodding to myself. When I got downstairs my mom was smirking at me, which seemed weird but ok, I don't care. I saw that my dad was already in the car so I ran into the gold color Aventador slamming the door behind me.

He barely acknowledged my existence, which deflated my enthusiasm slightly, "where are we going, dad?" I managed to ask. He gave an exasperated sigh like he was already fed up with our conversation before he answered "just be a good girl where I'm taking you and we'll be fine, give me your phone." I frowned, befuddled at his command but obliging anyway as I handed it over.

Within minutes of silence, we arrived at our destination and my dad stepped out of the car with me in tow, my head bowed as we walked into the pack house. I kept my head bowed as we entered conscious of the curious eyes of the passersby on us. Soon we stopped in front of an office and we were told to come in, the Alpha already sensing our presence.

Some hushed words were exchanged which I couldn't hear since I haven't shifted to my wolf yet. My dad signed some documents then turned to leave without me. Not wanting to be left behind I hurried after him but was stopped by the alpha's words "this is your home now, little Rylee". "What? Dad what is he talking about?" I screamed at my dad who only rolled his eyes as if amused by my antics then left without saying a word.

My heart stuttered in fear as I ran after him but was stopped by two men who held on to my struggling body as I screamed for my dad. After a few minutes of crying, I realized my dad left me for real and I stopped struggling with a bowed head accepting my defeat. The alpha came to crouch near my body and chuckled menacingly "welcome to red moon"

That was 3 years ago and somehow the physical, emotional abuse seems to make me stronger. I won't be broken, I will leave this place and make a name for myself. That's a promise to myself.