"The human body and soul are linked," Zeke said. "Nothing can sever this bond except death. And death involves the destruction of the body or the soul or both."

"So, the girls at the camp are technically alive," I said.

"Yes, a demon doesn't kill its victim. A demon expels its victim's soul and occupies the vacant body. When it leaves, the body returns to its rightful owner."

"And how will we make the demons leave?"

"This is your role as a Void Mage, Lance."

"A Void Mage?"

"Most humans are born with a gift for magic: it flows from their souls like water from a spring. Void Mages, however, are different: their souls are empty."

"You mean..." I remembered how I had struggled to master the Art of Channeling. "They can't use magic properly."

"Yes, they're anomalies. Their birth is an accident, but their arrival at the Seventh Labyrinth is fate."

"But how can I help?" I asked.

"Our kind can't use fancy spells, but we are called mages for a reason: our souls allow us to absorb magic. No, not only magic but all that is spiritual. If you realize your full potential, Lance, you will be able to trap the demons inside your soul."

"Inside my soul?"

"Yes," Zeke said, "you will have the power to lock them away inside you."

"This is the best news we've heard today," Alex said. "Lance will seal the demons and save the girls. We should get—"

"It's not that simple!" Zeke shouted. But then he repeated with more self-control, "It's not that simple."

"What do you mean?" I said.

"When you awaken your powers as a Void Mage, you curse yourself forever."

Before Zeke could explain more, the area around us was distorted. The fabric of space was shredded apart and reconnected to form another location. We found ourselves not on the mountain trail but in front of the temple on the summit.

Did Archidox do this?

A stairway led to the entrance of the temple. And where the stairs ended, a line of Doric columns rose and hid the roofless interior from view. The structure had heavenly golden gates, although it stood in the heart of hell.

"The curse is unbearable," Zeke continued, "and Archidox wants you to accept it along with the power. I will wait inside, but I won't blame you if you leave now." And he ascended the stairs in a hurry and disappeared inside the temple.

***

Surprised by Zeke's words, Alex and Erica debated whether we should go inside the temple. There was hope because I was a Void Mage, a human who had the potential to absorb demons. But there was also a curse that we knew little about. I remained silent and watched their faces twist and fold with many emotions.

"Archidox stopped Yuchi from telling us about the curse," Erica said.

"What are you saying?" Alex laughed. "And you call me paranoid."

"Think about it. As soon as Yuchi mentioned the curse, we found the temple in front of us. It can't be a coincidence. I wouldn't go inside if I were you, Lance."

"You're the key now, Lance. Think of the girls at the camp. Whatever the curse is, it can't be worse than our current suffering."

"You can't just decide for him."