22. Just Like I Can't Breathe

I Can't Breathe

By: Bea Miller

Future AU!

I'm sorry this isn't a oneshot, but I need to get some steam off my back. Sorry in advance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

It was weird. My life was weird. Was I just condemned to stay in this never-ending time-loop forever? My body felt like it was submerged in a gel, a cold, cold prison. I couldn't say for how long, or for how much time I was in here, underground. I felt crashes echo and sounds blow up above me. I would look to see what it was, then again, I can't move.

I'd never seen light. Light, light, light. I had faint memories that would come to me in my sleep of a beautiful field, dotted with purple flowers, and yellow trees. But the harder I tried to remember, the quicker I forgot.

Friends. Family. Nature. Family. Family. Family... Love. Love. Love. Something I never had. I need more time. I need more time. I need warmness. I need someone. I need someone to hold me close. I need someone, something to comfort me, to make me feel like I am wanted here.

Cold. Cold. Cold. Nothingness. Darkness. No Light. This was all I had ever had. I was just a mere existing being in the vast universe of space. What was space? Was it small? Big? Forgotten, just like me? Undiscovered, just like me?

Oh, how I wished I could move into the surface, how I wished I could just make something out of this mess that I was.

But...

Somehow I enjoyed being alone.

I enjoyed hearing the quietness of my own space.

A part of me was shut away.

The part of me that wanted to explore and have fun.

The part of me that didn't want to hear anyone else.

Anyone else but myself.

My world came crashing down when light came flooding into my little shell of a person. I saw the light for the first time in my life. It wasn't as beautiful as I had thought it was. I felt myself being pulled upwards.

Then I saw them. Five colorful beings. Odd, and fairly dressed. I don't think I even have the liberty to say odd. I didn't even know what I looked like. One of them held out a hand for me to take. I didn't move. I couldn't move. I didn't know how to move. I was just like a baby, newly born and still learning how to move. But by instinct, I still don't know how, my legs started to propel themselves towards the ground. I knelt down. What was I doing, I'll never know.

I started to search by digging my hands into the murky gel like substance. I pulled out a broken sword, with only its hilt and part of the blade on it. I felt wetness cascading down my cheeks. What? What was this? Water was leaking from my eyes? Impossible.

I wiped the water away and looked at the broken sword. Sword? Since when did I know such a word? I had heard it before... Somewhere. I looked around at my surroundings, including the five people that were brightly dressed.

"Wh-Who..." I managed, but my voice hurt like hell. They looked at me and smiled. One of them moved to touch me. I jumped back, raising the sword.

"Who are you people?" I croaked, "Where have you come from?" I coughed out blood. What? Why are so many fluids emitting from me? I had something wrong with me. Surely. After I thought that, I could only see darkness once again.

I woke up in a chamber. A blue chamber. Again with the odd words! What was blue? I had never seen it before, so how could I describe this? The door slid open and I stumbled out. The five oddly dressed people were still there.

"Who are you?" I demanded, "Where is Allura?" I gasped as I said that name. Allura, Allura, Allura. It felt like a name I've said so many times. So many eons ago.

"King Alfor, where is Altea?" I said again. These words kept slipping off my tongue. I looked around.

"You knew Allura?" one of them asked.

"Yes! Yes! Where is she? The princess!" I yelled, pulling out my sword. The people backed away.

"Who are you?" another asked.

"I am... I am... (Y/N). My name is (Y/N). I am the Number One general for the Altean warriors. I trained with Emperor Zarkon, until I was twice as good as him."

"I heard someone call my name, who is it?" a woman said, walking into the room. I felt the wetness on my cheeks again.

"Allura?" I whispered, "Is that really you?" She looked confused.

"Who are you?" The words hit me like a brick. I looked around, eyes glowing a dark shade of red.

"How long has it been?" I growled, "How long has it been since Alfor was here?! How long has it been since I've been trapped in that muck? TELL ME NOW!" I punched a hole in the wall out of sheer anger.

"I-I... Alfor, oh, King Alfor..." I muttered, "Time, time, I need more time... Love, love, darkness, darkness, time, time, time... I need more of it... To think, thoughts, thoughts...." I drew a sharp breath in as the glow subsided.

"How long has it been?" I asked, more calmly this time. The paladins looked around. Paladins? Since when did I know that word?

"It's been 2 years since the defeat of Zarkon... We're still fighting Lotor..."

"About 10,078 years since Alfor was still here," Allura interjected. I furrowed my eyebrows and put a finger on my chin, thinking.

"Time, time, time! I don't have much of it left!" I screamed, clutching my head as I crumpled to the floor. I was insane, only brooding in my own world, instead of coming out to see the real one.

"No, no, no..." I muttered, "I c-can't be like this... Darkness... No, no, snap out of it!" My eyes started glowing red again. I bit my lip until it gushed blood.

"Guys, restrain her!" the black paladin yelled, "She's going insane!" I felt two bodies holding my arms. I didn't struggle, I just stood there limp.

I saw war flashes before me. Alfor's dead body... All my students and comrades... Everything in the beautiful planet Altea. Gone, like a whirl-wind. I snapped back, my eyes finally clearing up.

"Where am I?" I asked, looking around, "Who are you? You have Altean markings." The girl looked confused.

"You just said who I was, (Y/N)."

"Who's (Y/N)? Why are you touching me?" I asked, still looking around. I blinked and felt two arms letting me go.

"Why are you here? Where's Alfor?" I demanded again. The humans looked confused.

"What?" they asked.

"What? Who's Alfor? What am I saying?" I said again, looking at them. I shook my head.

"What do you mean, 'Where's Alfor?' you know you conceited twit!" I yelled.

"Oh, I'm sorry Miss Know-It-All, unlike you, I actually have a purpose!"

"Well I'm sorry you fucking pea for spoiling your milk!" I screamed again. Allura tapped the paladins on the shoulder.

"General (Y/N) has... an interesting persona. She can sometimes, like this instance, switch personalities back and forth, talking and conversing to herself. This is what makes her a valuable asset on the battle field, able to see from multiple perspectives." The paladins nodded, understandingly.

"I can't say anything... No one can say... I can't HEAR! Hear... Tap, tap, tap... No, no, no!" I mumbled mindlessly. I feel like... Just...

"Just like I can't breathe."