|13|

Holidays were exhausting to say the least. It wasn't that you hated them or anything like that, it was just always stressful to have to deal with family and go shopping. To be frank, you could care less about your family-- well, besides your mom and brother. You also had one really chill uncle, but that's besides the point. Your family was just a pushy bunch of people. They would ask the typical questions like, "do you have a boyfriend?" or "Where do you want to go to college?" except, no matter how you answered, they would assume you were lying or hiding something, which is why you were happy-- no, ecstatic to find out that the relatives who would normally come and visit, were spending the holidays down in Florida. The only downside to this is the fact that your great aunt Katherine  literally makes the best rugelach in the world, but your mom promised to make it if you quit complaining.

Connor had not been as lucky as you, as he had to spend Christmas pretending to like his relatives. It wasn't like they didn't know how he really acted-- his family just loved  bringing up Connor's behavior problems at any given chance; although, that hadn't bothered him as much as his cousins did. Small children are loud, annoying, and gross and it doesn't help that you're not exactly allowed to punt the little fuckers like a football when they're acting up. It also doesn't help that said annoying, fragile humans had a habit of following Connor around trying to make him play with them.
Despite it being that oh so merry time of year, you had managed to see each of your friends during the break, seeing as none of your families had really been over the top when it came to this kind of stuff-- well, except Connor's, but he managed to slip away from the chaos in his home to hang out with the people he could call his friends, with the exception being Jared, but he would much rather put up with his bullshit than have his cousin ask one more time if she could braid his hair.

Once all the chaos of the holidays had finally ended, everyone had decided to spend the night at Evan's house, as Heidi was called into work, pretty much the second Hanukkah was over. She said it was more than alright for everyone to go over as long as  it wouldn't upset their parents; surprisingly, they were all okay with it.

You were a little excited for tonight, because, unknown to Evan, you had invited Zoe Murphy to come over a little bit later than everyone else, and she agreed. There  was no doubt that Connor would be pissed when she showed up, but that was a problem for later.

You, Jared, and Connor decided to walk together, which isn't really a good idea seeing as it was ten o'clock at night in New Jersey, but hey, nobody died so that's a win. Jared kept on laughing at seemingly nothing on the way there, but when asked about he said, "You'll see later." It had started to piss off Connor to the point where he would clench his fists whenever Jared made any noise at all. Speaking of annoying things, since Connor had like, a foot on you and Jared, you both had to mom-jog to keep up with him, and seeing as you and Jared weren't in the best of shape, it was exhausting.

The walk to Evan's was fairly short, so when you got there, Jared had just opened the door and we all entered the house. "Yo, tree boy, where are you?"  Evan could be heard rushing upstairs, as well as tripping down them, followed by a short string of curses. "Shit, sorry, I was waiting down here for you guys but then I remembered that I had snacks upstairs for everyone but I was worried you guys would show up before I got back down so I stayed down here then decided at the last minute to go get them and the thing happened anyway, so I'm really sorry and--" Connor was surprisingly the one to help calm him down. "Ev, it's all good, we're here, you're here, and none of us are dead, so it's fine." Evan, although confused, was relieved. "Oh, uh, I guess you're right."

There wasn't really much to do at Evan's, to which he apologized for repeatedly, but Jared had apparently planned ahead and brought some movies with him. There was a problem though. Jared only brought two movies, and said two movies were Ratatouille and Human Centipede 2. To Jared's disappointment, he was outnumbered three to one on Ratatouille. "You guys honestly wouldn't know a good movie if it hit you in the face." Connor had a look of pure disgust on his face. "Jared, there is nothing appealing about a bunch of people getting their asses surgically attached to each others   mouths." To which Jared responded, with a straight face: "What are you talking about? That's the only thing that gets me hard anymore." Evan's living room was now filled with laughter and Connor stifling through a single "what the actual fuck Jared?"
Things soon calmed down and Jared sat in front of the tv to put Ratatouille into the dvd player. Before the ads could even finish playing, there was a knock on the door, and you knew exactly who it was, so you quickly offered to answer the door before anyone else could. You opened the door, and the boys looked over curiously, and each of them had a different expression on their face: Evan was beet red and visibly sweating, Jared was looking back and forth between Evan and Zoe with a knowing look on his face, and Connor's was just pure, unadulterated anger and annoyance.
"Hi Zoe!" She smiled nervously. "Hey." You stepped aside to let her in and she did a quick scan of the room. "So, what are we doing?"
"We're just watching movies right now."
"What movie's on right now?" Jared had decided to butt in and said, very boldly, "Only one of the most inspirational movies of the century!" Zoe looked at you for clarification on what the movie was. "It's Ratatouille."
"Ohhh." She looked over at Evan and her brother, who were sitting on the couch, and smiled at Evan, which honestly could have made the poor boy faint on the spot if he wasn't trying so hard to keep it together. Jared looked at you, knowing exactly what you were trying to do and decided to help out in a way. "Hey Zo, you can take a seat on the end of the couch next to Ev boy over there if you want." She rubbed her arm and made her way over to the couch and sat beside Evan, leaving maybe an inch or two between them.