|12|

You were having the best dream about dogs when you were very unwillingly woken up by Jared pushing you off the bed. "Jared what the fuck." Your voice was a bit hoarse and you squinted your eyes due to the brightness of the room. "I'm hungry."
"Then go get food you jackass." Jared looked at you as if you had just told him to kill his own child-- actually, scratch that. Jared would willing kill his own child. "Hell no. This isn't my house, that's just weird."
"You're here almost every day and you've walked in without knocking just to take food. I think you'll be fine."
"But duuudddee, I want you to come with me!"
"Ugh, fine whatever."
You got up off the floor, nearly tripping over one of the blankets, and followed Jared groggily downstairs. You walked into the kitchen with Binx following, almost stepping on the heels of your feet. You opened up the fridge with your blanket draped over your shoulders like a cape. "You want some leftover Chinese food?"
"Nah."
"Well that's all we really have in the fridge right now."
"You got any cereal?"
"I dunno, go check." You heard a groan come from Jared and you shut the fridge. You turned around to see Jared climbing onto the counter, and pull a box of poptarts out of the cabinet. "Welp, no cereal, but I found something even better." You gave an unenthusiastic "aww yeah," yawning right after. "Y/n, you're a boring little shit."
"Whatever. It's your fault for waking me up." Jared rolled his eyes and jumped down from the counter, nearly dropping the box of poptarts. "Alrighty Sleeping Beauty, you want food sent down from Jesus himself, or are you just going to drink your nasty ass coffee."
"Yes I want poptarts, also, fuck you." An obviously over the top gasp came from Jared and he clutched the box he was holding close to his chest. "Hey! I will not tolerate swearing in my good christian household!" You gave your friend a "wtf" stare. "There were so many things wrong with that sentence, Kleinman."
"Oh really? Like what?"
"For starters, you swore right before I did; second, this is my house; third, you're Jewish." In response, the box of poptarts was thrown at your head. "What the hell Jared!"
"Never question the words of the Lord!"
"This is why I'm depressed."
"Shut up you love me."
"I don't love anyone."
"Oh really? What about Connor?" You felt your heart stop. You couldn't even come up with a sarcastic remark to this. "Aww, does my baby have a wittle cwush?" You glared at Jared and walked over to the coffee maker. "It's too early in the morning for this shit." Jared didn't really seem to care that much about the question and moved on to something else to make fun of you for. "Fucking poor people coffee."
"I'm going to fucking kill myself."
"Pft, no you won't. You'd feel to guilty about leaving your best friend all alone."
"You're right. I would feel bad about Evan."
"K wow, rude." You picked up the blue box from the ground and tossed it to Jared, who had just barely caught it. You walked across the kitchen to Jared, your blanket still on your shoulders, and rested your head on Jared's shoulder. "You know you're literally my favorite person, even though you're a piece of shit most of the time."
"Is it really true... I'm your favowite pewson OwO."
"Not after that." You quickly removed your head from his shoulder and stepped away from him. "Yeah, that's understandable." You both laughed. "Jared, this is why we're friends." Jared fake scoffed and crossed his arms. "No, we're friends because you just couldn't resist being around the insanely cool Jared Kleinman." You rolled your eyes and smirked. "Ah, yes, the insanely cool Jared Kleinman. The moment I laid eyes on you I knew I had to befriend you."
"See, now you're remembering."
"No, I mean I literally had to befriend you. I didn't really have a choice."
You reminisced on the day the little asshole was forced into your life.
It was around the beginning of your eighth grade year, and you were both 13; though, you were younger by three months. This was something that Jared always felt triumphant about for some reason, but that's beside the point.
You hadn't known the glasses wearing kid very well. You had only recognized him from two of your classes: English and band. Despite not knowing him at the time, you knew he annoyed the hell out of you, yet, he made you laugh sometimes. He always read out the stupidest stories in English, and it got to the point where he wasn't allowed to read aloud until the teacher proofread his work. Even though his short stories and essays were silly and sometimes inappropriate, they had always been well written.
Anyway, you supposed that your parents had bonded or some shit during one of your band concerts; pointing out which kid was there's and bragging about their achievements. Jared was definitely more accomplished than you. He was somehow a straight A student, despite dicking around constantly, while you struggled to get the just barley passing D.
Your moms starting talking outside of school events, thankfully never dragging neither you nor Jared into their friendship. Well, at least until sometime around mid November. Jared's mom had invited your family over for dinner, and your mom, who was never one to decline an invitation unless necessary, accepted, which of course meant you and your brother had to go.
You hadn't thought too much of it at first. You figured your parents would eat, talk, maybe watch TV and you'd be on your merry way, but no; your mom had insisted that you hang out with Jared so they could have "grown up time." You begrudgingly listened, and were slightly jealous that your younger brother got to tag along with your mom.
Jared acted as he did in school: Annoying, sarcastic, and rude; despite it being obvious that his parents wanted him to behave himself. Your parents soon kicked you out of the living and dining rooms, forcing you upstairs to Jared's room. It had been surprisingly neat and tidy, with the only mess being some cups and bags of food beside his bed.
"Well, make yourself at home" Jared then gestured to a trashcan that sat by his computer desk. You rolled your eyes and just awkwardly stood there, not sure what to do in this stranger's room. "Dude, you can sit down. Do you play Mario Kart?" You nodded and gave a quiet, "Yeah,"  and sat down on his bed. He had tossed a remote to you, which you surprisingly caught, and he started up the game.
It hadn't taken long for a simple and fun game of Mario Kart to turn into an all-out war. Jared had been spouting out strings of curse words. It didn't help that he had fallen off of rainbow road. "Son of a bitch!" You ignored his comment, and just tried to stay focused. Jared had yelled "Fuck yes!" when he got to first place. This, however, would not last long. You had a blue shell on you and you were fully prepared to be murdered over a game about racing. The shell hit Jared, or maybe I should say Yoshi, and he just threw his controller and started screeching, while you had kept a straight face and made your way to first place.

You could feel yourself being snapped out of your flashback by Jared; who had decided to vigorously shake you. "Yo, shit face, you were zoning out." You blinked and shook your head. "Oof, sorry." Jared just shrugged and handed you two poptarts. You could tell that they had just been taken out of the toaster. "Back to your room my bean!" He Naruto ran through the kitchen and up the stairs to your bedroom, and you followed him, laughing.