|7|

You had to go home after a while so Connor went downstairs with you to say goodbye, which made Connor question if that's a thing people do. He told himself that he could've just said bye and let you go downstairs by yourself, but then again, his mom might try to talk to you if that happened so he decided that he made the right decision.
Connor's thoughts were interrupted by you clearing your throat.  "Oh uh, sorry. I zoned out. Bye." He was honestly surprised when you enveloped him in a hug. He didn't really expect it, but he awkwardly returned the gesture. He felt kind of disappointed when you let go but, he didn't really know why. "Bye Connor." And just like that you were out the door and gone. Connor was too busy with you to notice his family sitting on the couch watching everything. "The fuck are you all staring at?" Zoe looked like she was trying not to laugh. "So, I see you've got a new drug dealer." Connor was about ready to strangle her already. "No. She's a friend." Larry looked unconvinced and it pissed Connor off. He didn't understand why it was so hard for his family to believe that he had friends? "Since when do you have friends?"
Connor clenched hands into a fist and took a deep breath.
'Don't lose your cool Connor.'

"Larry, Zoe, leave him alone. We should be happy that he's finally socializing." Connor let a small smile creep onto my face. He was just glad that his mom was taking his side for a change. Zoe rolled her eyes. Connor swore that one of these days she'd roll them so hard they fall out of her head. "Congrats Connor! You made one friend in your 17 years of living!"

"Shut your whore mouth before I shut it for you. Also, she's not my only friend." Zoe looked like she was going to make another bitchy comment when Cynthia stood up from her seat. "Both of you need to stop it! Connor, all of us are happy you're making friends. Right Larry?"

"Sure."

"Whatever. I'm going back to my room."
"He's probably going to get stoned."

"Zoe, I'm going to punch you in the throat if you don't stop talking shit." Before any of them could make a comment Connor hurried upstairs back to my room. He was actually considering smoking a blunt but, he really didn't want to prove Zoe right so he just let myself fall onto the bed and ran my fingers through my hair. The more time he was left alone with his thoughts the more he realized that he'
was actually praying to go back to school. When he was there he didn't have to deal with my his parents, time around Zoe is very limited, and he could spend more time with you. Connor didn't know why, but he always felt weird around you. Maybe that's how you're supposed to feel around your friends. That doesn't explain why he didn't feel weird around Evan though. He couldn't deny that he thought you were very pretty and confident and smart and funny and patient and nice and- wait I did say pretty? No. I don't think I did. I mean, I'd be lying if I said she wasn't pretty. But it doesn't--

Connor snapped back to reality for a minute when someone knocked on his door. "Fuck off!"
"Connor, It's Zoe. Can I please come in?"

"Eat a dick!"

"Please? I just want to talk."

...

"Whatever. Shut the door behind you." The door creaked open and Zoe stepped into the room, shutting the door like she was asked. "So what do you want?" She took a deep breath and Connor tapped his fingers impatiently. "Look, I'm sorry for giving you shit about whatsherface, I'm actually really proud of you for finally getting a girlfriend." Connor nearly choked on my own breath when she said the word "girlfriend."

"Her name's Y/n and she's not my girlfriend but okay."

"Okay sure, then why are you blushing?" Connor only then realized that his face had heated up in embarrassment. "I'm not fucking blushing and she's not my girlfriend. She doesn't even like me like that."

"But you like her?"

"No!"

"Are you sure? Because I saw you giving her heart eyes when she left and I don't think people who are "just friends" do that."

"Okay, so what if I do? We're still just friends."

"Aha! So you do like her!"

"Shut the fuck up."

"Aww, Connor's got a little crush!"

"Zoe, of you don't cut the shit I'm going to bash your head in."

"Oh calm down. I think you should ask her out."

"Hell no!"

"Why not?"

"She's my best friend and I don't want to ruin that just because of a little crush."

"Whatever dude, just don't say I didn't try to help."

"Wasn't planning on it." She held out peace signs and finally left the room. Jesus Christ I actually like my best friend! What the hell is wrong with me? Just keep it cool. As long as she doesn't find out everything will be fine and we can still hang out. Connor was honestly ready to sock Zoe right in the mouth if she even thought about saying anything, but he doubted she would. As awful as he thought she was, he knew she wouldn't do that.