The Lion's Den

"Hold the company!"

Anna slowed her horse to a stop, her eyes remaining fixed at a point far into the distance, ignoring the sea of red and gold she was a part of.

"Give the horse's a drink, rest for a moment. We leave again in a few moments." Her husband's voice sounded loudly around the countryside. As the Lannister men moved about their business, Anna felt his eyes on her once more.

She often felt him watching her, sometimes she was sure he'd say something, but he never did. Perhaps he to could not forget how she had screamed as he forced her away from her family, dragging her along by his side as he rode to war. Her sister left in the hands of Cersie because of her father's injury. She had heard no word, nothing on whether Eddard was healing or even still alive. She hoped everyday when the riders came, but no news had brought anything on the family she was forced to leave behind.

And it was something that she could not forgive. Anna couldn't even look at Jamie, let alone speak to him. He had broken her heart. Nights were the hardest; Jamie hadn't dared to touch her, yet, but just hearing him breathe made Anna remember his hands around her throat.

She swallowed heavily and accepted a goblet of water from one of her guards, tipping her head in thanks. She drained it and gave it back as a hand placed itself on her knee. She knew who it was.

"My father is at the camp, little wife, ready to fight your brother."

She focused her eyes ahead, at the small tip of a mountain she could see just over the horizon. Was it covered with snow, like Winterfell always was? Or had the gold of summer already taken hold and melted the white?

"We will reach him within the hour, he is waiting for us both."

Jamie shifted so his head was suddenly within her line of sight. His face was blank, though emotions spilled over in his eyes. Anna held her reins tighter, resisting the urge to either punch him or trace his sharp jaw. She watched him at night, mainly to reassure herself he wouldn't kill her when she slept. But also to look at him, to see her husband when he wouldn't see her looking.

She missed his eyes. The emerald green with flecks of gold, shining with laughter as he looked at her-

Anna scowled and moved her leg, letting Jamie's hand fall from it. She heard him sigh and turned as he walked away, watching his retreating form whilst trying to ignore the deep sense of longing and comfort for all that had happened, even if it was by his hand.

She bit her lip. It was going to be a long day.

*************************************************************************************************

Anna watched with an uplifted nose at Tywin sharpened his knife. The dead stag that lay before him on a wooden table brought with it a horrible smell, though she was more concerned about the deeper meaning. A leader of the pack of lions killing a stag could mean only destruction for House Baratheon, and therefore House Stark.

They had arrived only minutes ago before Jamie shoved her in the direction of Tywin's tent. When they had entered together, one look from Tywin had made her cower. Clearly he had heard about the things she had done. He let her sit, pointing rather threateningly at the chair, watching her until she had seated herself. Where she now sat in the corner, she could watch both of the Lannister men whilst keeping a healthy distance, but Ana knew it would not last for long.

"...Summoned to court to answer for the crimes of your banner-man, Gregor Clegane, The Mountain...er," Jamie paused in his reading as he squinted at the words in Eddard's letter, "er, arrive within the fortnight or be branded an enemy of the crown."