King's Landing

"Anna my girl, ride with me! King's Landing approaches and you will enter with me!"

At the King's shout, her horse moved forward. She passed Jamie and her father as she rode to match the King's pace. She kept her head high, still ignoring Jamie. It had been a week and the two of them refused to even look in the direction of the other. Anna had no idea how their marriage was going to work if the two of them hated one another. 

She'd find out soon enough. 

"There it is!" The King said pointing rather proudly at his home. 

It was just as she had imagined. Nothing like her old home. Even from the distance she could see King's Landing was a maze of narrow winding streets, as complex as a human heart. The streets were the veins, paved with bright cobblestones, and the people were the blood. The sound of the smiths, beating swords and breastplates into shape, was the consistent and loud even from far away. It was the exact opposite of Winterfell: Next to no green with sound coming from every window of every house.

Every building was different, trying to stand out from those around it. She could see the smoke rising from the brothels, and there were many. On they rode, all the while Anna wishing she could slip from the front of the long trail of men. She didn't want to know what riding into King's Landing next to the King would mean. Did he want to show her off?

They entered with the sound of beating drums and blowing horns. The commoners ran through the streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the New Hand and his famous children. Crowds formed like walls on either side of the path, many staring openly at Annaliese. She had a feeling that red hair with blue eyes was exceptionally uncommon in the south. She stared at them as they looked at her expectantly.

"Don't look at them, keep your head high and pretend they are below you." A voice muttered close behind her.

She turned slightly in her saddle to see Jamie looking at her intently. She narrowed her eyes but nodded and did as he told her too. She disliked him, but disliked the fact that she needed him. This was not her home, it was far from it and she had no idea how to act and behave. Jamie knew how to get her respect and she would need it if she were to survive. 

After some weaving through the great labyrinth of roads, all the paths eventually converged and unveiled the path to the stronghold, perching firmly on the edge of the cliff. A sea of people, of all ages, filled the square. Most seemed to be servants from all over the city ready to welcome the King and his family as well as the new guests. Some appeared to be Lords, probably from the small council whilst others looked like wealthy barons from the nearby countryside. 

The King halted as they entered what Anna presumed was the main courtyard. With some help he got off his horse and began barking orders to everyone who moved instantly. Anna remained on her horse staring up at the grand structure that stood before her. It was higher than anything she'd ever see, shining like a beacon in the high afternoon sun. 

"My Lady."

She turned to see Jamie offering his hand up to her. She was debating to refuse it when she met his eyes. They seemed to be pleading at her not to make a scene. She sighed. She really needed to learn how to be a Lady of the south. She took it, noting the way his face lit up as she did. 

Once on the ground her horse was taken away immediately. She looked around for her father and her sisters but she could not see them.

"Your family have gone straight to the tower of the hand, all your belongings are going with them." Jamie muttered, trying to read her face.

She looked at him then and pulled her hand from his sharply, not liking the way he was still holding it.

"Are we not talking again?" He asked her quietly with a raised eyebrow.