Goodbye

"Cat..."

"Mother please..."

No matter how hard they tried, it was like she couldn't hear them. Bran was lying in his bed, unmoving. He almost looked like he was asleep, but the stiffness of his body and paleness of his skin reminded Anna that Bran was in now way in a peaceful sleep. 

Four days.

Still nothing.

Anna stood in the doorway, watching her ever thinning mother watch Bran closely, her face drawn and pale. No one could move her, not even Eddard. She did have regular meals brought to her, not that she ate all of them. Anna wished there was something she could do. 

Catelyn sat still on her chair, with no strength to move away from Bran. Her shaky fingers finally coming to stop after running restlessly through his messed up hair. Anna bit down on her lip trying not to burst into tears. Her tears were not going to help, they wouldn't change anything. Maester Ludwin had told her in private that it was unlikely Bran would wake up, and if he did... he would never walk again. 

"Mother." She called gently, deep down knowing she would get no response. 

Her father had visited earlier and had managed to talk to her. But Anna wasn't surprised if her mother didn't respond to her, their relationship had always been a bit strained. 

"We're leaving for King's Landing today mother." Anna said, "And... And I know you must look after Bran but please take care of Rickon."

She waited but her mother didn't respond. With a last glance at Bran she turned.

"Rose."

She froze and spun round, but her mother hadn't moved.

"Rickon is my son, I will always take care of him." 

Anna smiled sadly in relief.

"Thank you mother."

Catelyn turned her head slowly and met Anna's eyes. The two stared at one another for a moment before Catelyn nodded at her once. Her mother's once withering glare had faded. Her eyes were dimmed, and unlike the rest of her they weren't at all expressive, they were empty, like glass.

"Protect Sansa and Arya at all cost Anna. Put their safety before your own."

With that she turned back to Bran, and Anna knew she would say no more. She turned and reached to close the door behind her.

"I will mother. I promise."

***********************************************************************************************

If she was being honest Anna felt like she might be sick. Swallowing heavily, she finished saddling up Arod, who stood patient and still, as if knowing his mistress was distressed.The emptiness inside her was now constant; Though Anna considered herself decent at hiding it, masking it with blank emotions. But that didn't mean it would go away.

"Anna?"

She closed her eyes and turned. 

Robb stood before her, looking rather melancholy.

"Promise me you'll take care of Rickon." Anna said quietly.

His lips quirked upwards. 

"You know I will Rose." He replied gruffly. 

"Goodbye Robb." She whispered.

Robb stood straighter and nodded once. 

She gave him a strained smile as he turned and walked away. She wouldn't miss him much, but she would miss the familiarity of his presence. The sadness flowed through her veins and seemed to deaden her mind. It was a poison to her spirit, dulling her, killing off her other emotions until it was the only one that remained. She had always known she would leave, but she never thought like this.