[ One ] - Masked Phantom

"Yato? Yukine?"

Hiyori walked into the empty street where she sensed Yato's scent, her pink tail swinging from side to side. She had been looking for them for a while now.

It was four in the afternoon when she went to Kofuku's place to give Yukine his homework and teach him. But Daikoku told her that they left already. And now, it was already six in the evening.

"Maybe they're fighting phantoms?" She whispered to herself. She took a step farther into the alley, tightly cluching her bag of supplies.

"SmElLS niCe..."

Hiyori's eyes widened as she turned around to look where the eerie voice came from.

A huge green, violet and red ant was now running towards her. The ant made a screeching noise, she needed to cover her ears just to last through it.

A phantom.

She started to turn around and run, accidentally dropping the bag of notes and pens she was holding. Her feet automatically taking her away from the phantom that was now only half a mile away. "Woaaahh!" The frightened girl exclaimed, jumping to the cable lines in hopes of getting farther away from the phantom.

Big mistake.

In the blink of an eye, the gigantic phantom moved its head sidewards to the wires Hiyori was running in. The posts wildly shook, and she was thrown violently out of the wires.

Her feet lost balance and she fell off, while the ant gave another screeching noise. She desperately tried to grab onto a wire but failed. But as she did, she noticed something on the phantom ant's head. A white mask with black drawing of an eye.

Another masked phantom?! Why are they scattered all over the place all of the sudden?

Her thoughts were interrupted when she start to realize the situation she was in. "Eeeeek!!" She was falling to the phantom's mouth and she just realized it.

"So stupid of you Hiyori Iki, now the phantom's going to devour us!" She felt like saying to herself, involuntarily screaming for help.

"Sekki!"

A voice said from behind Hiyori as she recognized the familiar scent she was looking for. She turned around only to be blinded by a while light coming from a man wearing a black tracksuit, blue scarf and his sword in contact with the phantom.

Yato... and Yukine!

Another screeching noise came from the phantom, but this time, its much more louder and fierce.

Before she knew it, she felt a hand grab her wrists and pull her up to a building. But before they could even land, the phantom raised its head and swatted them with its antennas as if they were flies. 

Both of them fell with a loud thud, Yato hugged Hiyori tight, making his left arm receive most of the impact. The God groaned, and tried to stand up as quickly as he can.

"YoU CanT EsCapE! HiYorI IKi," the phantom screeched, and sprouted eyes from its head, its pupils rolling around uncontrollably.

Yato stood up, a bit taken aback with what he heard.
"It wants... Hiyori?" Yukine spoke from inside, but Yato didn't respond. He only squinted his eyes and tightened his grip on his sacred vessel.

"Run Hiyori." He finally spoke with a cold tone, but not even bothering to look at Hiyori, who was standing up.

"But I want to help!" She protested as she sprinted to the phantom and prepared to kick the life out of it.

The phantom lurched towards them, opening its mouth and revealing its sharp stingers.

Before she could even leap, Yato pushed her aside, "No Hiyor--!"

"Yato!!" The girl screamed as the phantom ran into his direction and bit his arms, Yato groaned in pain as blight started to spread through it. The phantom dragged him out of the way, but instead of devouring him, it threw him away and turned back to Hiyori.

She screamed for help again and ran until she bumped her head into a wall. "A dead end.."

"CoME wiTh mE HiYorI."

Hiyori froze, there's no escape. The phantom twitched as it came near her. She closed her eyes, and braced for its attack.

"Arrghhh!!"

She snapped her eyes open, and found Yato in front of her with the phantom that was obviously in pain, a huge cut was now present in its right cheek.

"This is the land of the rising sun, your desecration shall not be allowed." The God wielded one of his blade, "Hear me, I'm the God Yato! I now lay thee waste with the Sekki, and expel thy vast defilement." And he wielded another, " I cleanse thee! --- Rend!"

He raised his blades high and jumped, only to cut through the phantom. The mask broke into pieces, and the phantom exploded into rays of bright lights.

"Revert Sekki..." Breathing heavily, he leaned on a nearby post.

Yukine appeared beside Yato, and as soon as he saw her, he ran to Hiyori and helped her stand up.

"Hiyori, are you okay?"

She only nodded, still in the state of confusion because of the phantom.

"What does that phantom what with you?" He asked her, as if he was reading through her mind.

"I... I don't know..."

Hiyori turned to Yato, that is now walking ahead of them. She raised an eyebrow, usually, he'll ask if she's okay, and his blight...

She ran to Yato, with Yukine following her. "Yato, are you okay? You--" She reached to him but he pushed her away.
"Shut up." He cussed.

"What's wrong?" She continued to follow, "Is it the blight? Does it hurt?"

"I said shut up!" He faced her, his blue eyes were cold, and his fists were clenched tight.

Hiyori backed away, "Yato..."

"You know what's the problem?! Its you!" He raised his voice, "How many times have I told you to stay at Kofuku's?!"

"But I was just trying to help!" She protested, clenching her fists. Why is he acting like this?!

"Help? Really?! You're no help Hiyori! You're only making things worse!" He flinched and looked at his arm. His blight... Its spreading more faster.

"Yato, your blight!" Yukine spoke in, reminding Yato about his situation.

He looked away, and then jumped to a nearby wire, then he dashed off.

-----

You might be asking why Yato is out of character here and he might be like that for a couple of chapters hahahaha. Please don't hate me and don't worry, he had a goooood reason, and you need continue reading to find out!

Author-chan out!