Chapter Twenty - England (2/2)

Start from the beginning

He smiled as he remembered the time she walked halfway around the castle to ask him to retrieve a kettle that was just barely out of her reach. She smiled up at him as he shook his head and handed her the kettle. There was always something just a little too high, or a little too heavy.

The guard scheduled to relieve him of his post startled Tahir from his daydreaming. He left the castle and headed toward his home in the forest. It was not yet dark, but the sun hung low in the sky. He sang to himself as he walked through the courtyard.

Gavin was in the tavern, as usual, when he spotted Tahir passing by. He grabbed his drink and staggered outside, yelling, "Tahir!" He steadied himself against the door frame and called, "Come have a talk with me."

Tahir sighed. Although he appreciated everything Gavin was doing for him, he still loathed these conversations with him. He reeked of ale, was loud and obnoxious, and made a habit of hitting or pushing him. He just didn't understand Gavin. There were many knights just like him, but Gavin seemed more annoying than the rest. Perhaps it was because he was the one Tahir was bound to. He watched the drunkard stagger to a wooden bench and plop down, motioning for Tahir to join him. He prepared himself for the punches he would assuredly receive and obeyed.

"That's a good lad," he began slapping Tahir's leg. "You've done quite well for yourself. No doubt thanks to my training!" he laughed and shook Tahir by the shoulder.

"Thank you," Tahir said, trying to straighten up.

"Aye." he took a swig from his mug. "And King Robert is pleased with your hard work. Earning yourself quite the name, aren't you? And Lady Destiny, she certainly seems to fancy you. Beautiful, isn't she?"

Tahir shifted in his seat.

"No need to be embarrassed, lad. I would think there was something wrong with you if you didn't agree!"

"Yes, she is," he agreed, unable to hide his grin.

"Good! So you do have eyes! Then why don't you see that King Robert is searching for a suitable husband for her? Remember what happened to me with Grace? Learn from the mistakes of others, lad. Don't be such a bloody fool." Gavin slapped him hard on the back of the head.

"But you said she fancies me. I haven't done anything inappropriate."

"It doesn't matter who she fancies. England is in turmoil; enemies surround us. With the right marriage, we could gain the favour of other kingdoms. We need all the allies we can get!"

"The King would marry off his own daughter for martial gain?"

"Of course! What better offering than a beautiful wife?"

"In Elysi, the female unicorns choose their mates after the males prove their strength. And the sprites and gnomes marry for happiness, love and companionship."

"Then marry an elf!" He burst into laughter and punched Tahir in his arm, practically knocking him off the bench. "You are a funny one! You don't live in fairyland anymore, lad! Gnomes and unicorns...no wonder she likes you!"

Tahir stared at the ground and rubbed his throbbing shoulder.

"Bah! Don't be melancholy. Your looks and courage have caught the eye of many a fair damsel. Forget Destiny, I'll introduce you to women who have been asking about you. Come with me!"

"No thanks Gavin. I need to be going. Oraden is expecting me." He rose from the bench.

"Come now, it'll be fun!" Gavin chugged the last of his ale. Even through his bloodshot eyes he could see that Tahir was troubled. "Never mind me. Have hope, lad. It's not impossible for a man of lower class to win the arm of royalty. It's uncommon, but it has happened. I'm afraid time is against you. Grace had been married for years by the time she was Destiny's age. I do not understand why His Majesty delays, but maybe his hesitancy will be to your benefit."