✭ chapter 1

claire's pov

the blaring sound of my alarm clock rang almost making me go deaf. "ugh," i groaned, not wanting to get out of bed. today was going to suck. it's my first day at a brand new high school and i'm a stupid freshman.

what's even better is that i'm coming to this school in the middle of the damn school year, so i can't even start out fresh. i just moved here from a small town in oklahoma and now i'm living in la- so things are definitely going to be different around here.

maybe a good different.

i struggled to get out of bed and immediately reached for my phone pulling it off of the charger. my face brightened when i saw many text messages from my best friend jade, she went to middle school with me in oklahoma. i started to read them one by one.

bff: I MISS U SO FREAKING MUCH

bff: IS IT TOO LATE FOR U TO TRANSFER BACK

bff: HOPEFULLY THERE'S HOT GUYS THERE

bff: OK ILL STFU NOW BYE ILY

bff: AND GET A BF BITCH

i laugh looking at the texts she sent me. i giggle thinking about all the crazy things we would do at my old school, always laughing and fucking around. there was one time where we skipped class just to spy on our hot history teacher while he was in the teachers lounge on his lunch break.

crazy bitches.

all of the memories we had started to all come back to me at once. my happy face soon turns into a sad one as i realized i'm not with her anymore... and i won't be for a while. i start to text back.

claire: i miss you too whore

claire: ily

i chuckle at my first text but then wipe the tear that starts to trickle down my cheek and inhale sharply. i'll admit, i'm pretty stressed out about going to this new school, especially since la is so exclusive.

jade is the one and only friend that knows about my situation, and my "situation" is the reason why i had to move here. i shake my head trying not to think about it as i get out of bed starting to get ready.

i start to pick out my outfit and i make sure it's a cute one considering it's my first day. i go over to my closet and look at the endless amount of clothes hanging up. i pick out some ripped jeans with a white bell sleeve top and some tan sandals.

afterwards, i curled my hair and did a half-up half-down hairstyle, making sure to brush out the curls a little to get a good wave.

i finished the look by applying some concealer, powder, mascara, eyeliner, and filled in my eyebrows.

i threw on my charm bracelet and some small hoop earrings and sprayed my favorite scent of perfume on from victoria's secret.

i took a look in my full-length mirror and paused, surprised at my reflection. i took a step back examining myself. there was no way in hell i looked like a freshman. i at least looked like a junior. i was always told that i look older than I really am and now i'm starting to see why. i looked away from the mirror and started to make my way downstairs.

i grabbed all of my stuff and walked downstairs trying to hurry so I could make it to the bus stop in time. everyone's still asleep because it's only 6:30 in the morning, so i try to shut the front door as quietly as i can when i walk out of the house.

i step out onto the pavement and i feel my nerves start to rise with each step i take. it's my first day of high school at a new school.. a new state... and with new people. i can't do this, i'm not ready. i pull out my earbuds and start to listen to blackbear attempting to distract myself.