Chapter 6

"Eh?" The boy's shout in union.

"Really? That's so cool!"

"Right? This will be fun." Shanks set's Luffy down to peer at the trio. "Vee mentioned about taking care of her three new kids. I guess you're all here in on piece. That's good." He squats down at eye level. "Let's get to know each other. What's your guys name?"

"S-Sabo and this is Ace." The blonde starts. "Nice to meet you. You know I think I remember your names. Makino once mentioned them to me when she went to visit you guys in the orphanage."

Their eyes lit up at the name. "Yeah. The girl right? She was really nice." Shanks nods.

"She is indeed. I didn't think I would one day actually be seeing you three in person. Then again neither did I think I would be babysitting."

"So what gives then? We know all about you Shanks. Luffy told us. You really aren't a babysitter unless you decided to take it easy." The red head scratches his head.

"That's a secret kid. I'm not even sure myself and I'm still figuring it out?"

"Figure what out?" Ace asks. The brute makes his way to the large stacks of lumber ignoring the boy's question.

"So what's with all these stacks of lumber? What's Vee gonna do with them or rather you three." He taps his foot on the wood.

"A project."

"A project eh? Does Vee know?" They gulp. Shank notices their nervous expression through his peripheral vision. He scoffs. "I'll take that as a no."

"Y-you're not going to tell on us are ya Shanks?" Luffy pleads. The man chuckles.

"No way! I don't even tell her the truth unless necessary. She ends up nagging you for having too much fun." His eyes soften at the thought of Veronica. "What do you expect from a caring woman?"

The trio stare at him confused. Their thoughts swim over to you. You nagged and defended your mother because you were right. You were doing what you were because you cared and so did Veronica. They felt a small sense of affection toward the thought. Shanks gives a slight blush scratching the side of his cheek. "Anyways! Where would you like these boards?"

"In the shed that's in the backyard." He lifts a few planks heading to the back.