Chapter 4: Furnishings

The audible whispers awake you, and as you sit up, your tired eyes search for the source gradually shifting to an argument. The nest in the living room is empty except for Luffy who is sleeping soundly. Curious, you pick yourself up and search for the others. You follow the whispers ending up in front of the back yard's sliding door kept ajar. You search for your slippers finding them behind a potted plant. Turning the corner, you find Ace and Sabo bickering on the patio. "Enough already, Sabo!" Ace growled. "No, Ace, this is ridiculous! This is what rich people do! They bait you, sugarcoat everything for awhile to get you on their side, and once they earn your trust, they expect you to do as they say with no questions asked. If you don't obey they threaten you. I'm warning you guys, because it looks like you two are starting to get comfortable. I get Luffy, but you? What's the deal? You've never been one to give in so easily, so why now?" Ace rubs his temple in frustration. "Sabo...I just think that we should start giving things a chance." He lied. "We've gone through countless foster homes just to find a family that would take all three of us and whenever we did, it was always a disaster. One parent was too strict, the other was abusive and only cared for money, we took them down because we had a reason. So far these people have done nothing wrong and cared for us. I understand it's only the third day and we still have yet to be cautious but usually on the third or second day is when they show their true colors. We're going to wait a week like we always plan. I know you want to bail now, but c'mon dude just bare with us a little longer. We always wait a week no matter what." Sabo looks down clenching his fist. He looked uneasy like something was nerve racking in the back of his head. Ace squeezes a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I know this troubles you a lot, believe me and I would leave in a heartbeat for you guys, but we also can't be quick to judge, remember?" Sabo sighed in defeat. "Yeah...you're right. I just can't help the thoughts of being around a place familiar, ya know?"

"I know. Look on the bright side. If we really have freedom here, we have a big forest all to ourselves. We can make a fort of our own out there. Free to do as we please. We'll even keep it a secret from them." Ace snickered. Sabo grins enjoying the idea. You take a step closer making the floorboard creak. The boys gasp, alerted glare toward your frozen form. "How long have you been there?" Sabo started. "A while. I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I was just wondering where you guys went."

"You really shouldn't listen in on other people's conversation. It's rude, girl." Sabo's words were bittersweet it made you feel ashamed. Tears brim the edges of your eyes, biting your lip hard to replace the feeling. "I-I know. I said I'm sorry." You said barely above whisper. Ace frowns feeling guilty to see you this way. He sighed scratching his head. "Whatever man, she's not gonna snitch on us, right?" You raise your head to face his threatening gaze. You look back down and nodding. "There you have it. She's too afraid to do anything about it." The air was awkward and silent until Luffy walks out with your mother. "There you guys are! I'm glad you're all up and out. I need you guys to be out here for a few hours. Movers will be coming in soon and set all of the furniture we ordered for the three of you in your rooms so I need you all to keep away from the workers. (Y/N) why don't you show them our back yard?"

"But what about breakfast?" Luffy whined. "Breakfast will be served outside in our garden table. I just have to pick it up."

"Don't you think we've been eating out a lot? Why not just cook?" You queried. "I would but I also have to do some quick errands. Now, can I trust you all to behave?"

"Yes."

"Good, I'll be back in a few." Veronica retreats inside for your sweaters. "Here, slip them on, I don't want you to get cold while you're out here." She bundles Luffy first, then you, Sabo, and lastly Ace who gives a slight blush. Your mom ruffles his hair and leaves. "Well that was sudden. She kind of kicked us out of the house." Ace commented. "She does this all the time. It's just as she said, she doesn't want us to be in the way of workers." You defended. "Or she doesn't trust us while she's gone." Sabo stated matter of fact. "That's not true! She does too trust you three. Why else would she leave us out here alone except to spy on the movers?"