Chapter 32. Lies & Reunited Lovers

Chapter 32

''Like inhaling a breath, you've been snatched away

During those days, the hands of the clock were relentless

The sounds drifting deep into your ears,

It's all a paling sign.''

No one uttered a word in the car. Maybe we couldn't fathom what had happened. Maybe we were trying to avoid it. Or maybe we were just too scared to admit it.

When we entered the living room of the mansion, Elizabeth was dusting off the mantelpiece. She looked at us worriedly when she saw our faces. We probably all had different expressions. Astonishment, confusion, disgust. And I looked like I was going to fall apart any moment.

''She's alive,'' Dominic suddenly muttered, and I could feel the emotion behind his voice. A warm feeling crept through me and I groaned, knowing now where it came from all along. The recognition I felt when I first met them all, the weird feelings I was getting whenever I was alone with them.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow. ''Pardon?''

Dominic ignored her. He pressed a hand against his forehead, falling into one of the armchairs. He looked on the brink of bursting into tears. ''Evangeline... I can't believe you're alive.''

Elizabeth blinked. ''Oh,'' she muttered, looking at me. ''Didn't I tell you? After we discussed your visions?''

Suddenly I remembered what she was talking about. After I nearly drowned in the bathtub Elizabeth gave me tea to drink, and we talked. I told her about the visions I was having and asked her why. If she knew all along, why did she never tell me?

''It has started sooner than I had expected,'' she had said to me, but back then I had no clue what it meant.

''Evangeline has returned,'' I muttered, quoting Elizabeth. She nodded, and I frowned. ''If you knew, why didn't you tell me?''

She lowered her eyes to the floor, folding her hands together. ''Because you weren't supposed to know. Besides, I never expected her spirit to push you for so long.''

''Woah, hold on,'' Benjamin butted in, frowning in confusion. ''What visions?''

Crap, I forgot only Elizabeth knew about those.

Elizabeth seemed to realize that as well; her eyes widened and she covered her mouth with her hands.

''Oh no... I'm so sorry!'' she exclaimed and I shook my head.

''Don't worry about it, they were going to find out eventually,'' I reassured her.

Benjamin glared between us and cleared his throat. ''What visions?'' he repeated crossing his arms.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, trying to think of the right way to explain it to them.

''Ever since I started to read Eve's diary,'' I started, seeing Dominic's eyes narrowing. ''I've been getting visions afterwards, visions that were linked with whatever I was reading. It started from the day she met you guys, and I've almost finished it... But every time the visions become more painful and unbearable.''

Dominic looked furious right now. He flew out of the chair and crossed his arms, glaring at me and Elizabeth. ''And did it ever occur to you to tell us?''

I managed a sheepish laugh, but he didn't seem to get the humour. He then turned to Elizabeth. ''And you, why didn't you say anything?''

''Hey, don't throw this out on her,'' I said defending her. ''I asked her not to say anything. Back then you didn't even know I was reading the diary in the first place.''