Chapter 26. A Moonlit Kiss

Chapter 26

''So, shall we shut away the world?

The sweet, cruel memories known as 'kindness,'

as the flower they've nurtured

Is gently planted close to your ears''

Torture.

That was the word I would use to describe my situation. Every day was a difficult task for me - whether I was being reminded of Beth, or one of the Parkers would confront me - and every day seemed to be harder and harder.

Every day I would find out a small piece of their long and deep past, but once I knew I was always left with more confusion than before. It seemed like every answer gave more questions.

I headed down the stairs, looking for Dominic. I wanted to ask him sooner, but I couldn't muster up the courage. I looked around the foyer, seeing some light coming from the living room. As I walked towards it I started to wonder if Dominic would approve of my request. It wasn't a very big request, but I somehow knew he could say no easily. Still, better to ask before doing something stupid like breaking the house rules once more. I still loathed him for murdering Beth, and I rather never wanted to talk to him again. I didn't want to create any more complicating situations, though.

With a sigh, I entered the living room, seeing Edward's long legs dangling off the arm rest of the sofa. Dominic was sitting in one of the leather chairs with his reading glasses on and a book in his hands.

Neither of them looked up when I entered, so I stood awkwardly a foot away from the back of the sofa glancing between them. The room was completely silent except for the crackling fire and the flipping of the pages of Dominic's book.

After a few minutes, I put a fist in front of my mouth, clearing my throat gently. They still didn't respond, so I frowned.

''Uhm, excuse me...'' I muttered, looking down at Edward when he was moving and groaning.

''You're really getting on my nerves,'' he muttered, turning on his side.

Dominic sighed, his eyes shooting up at me. ''What is it now?''

I felt slightly insulted at his tone. It wasn't like I asked so much of them; this was the first time in a while actually.

''I err, I was wondering if I could take a walk in the garden?'' I asked hesitantly, fiddling with my fingers. When I dared to peek up at him his eyes were narrowed to slits.

I narrowed my eyes back and crossed my arms. ''I'm not going to run off if that's what you're wondering. If I did, you'd just kill whoever I am with,'' I said cynically.

His jaw clenched, but he didn't reply to my comment. He looked back into his book. ''The gate is locked anyway, so I suppose you can go. It's too high for you to climb.''

I wanted to argue against that, but then realized it was better if I'd leave them be rather than aggravate them some more. They already seemed quite tense.

I nodded once, murmuring a thanks and turning around leaving the living room. When they didn't say anything else I continued my way to the front door. I blinked, seeing Dominic unlocking it. Right, vampire speed.

I blinked again, and then he was gone. I shook my head, heading over to the door. Using a lot of strength to pull it open the door slowly opened, creaking loudly as well.