Chapter 23. Proposals & Nightmares

Chapter 23

''Warm this cold blood of mine- - -

This blood shall be carried on, as long as it's flowing

And someday, we can become one

So that we can completely forget this cruel sorrow.''

Can you describe to someone what loss feels like? True loss? Can you imagine what someone is going through once they've lost someone so close to them?

You can't. Not unless you've experienced it yourself.

Your heart stops momentarily, you forget to breathe. All you can think is no. You start crying, or just stare in shock. You can't speak, you can only deny the fact. Then you start asking yourself why. Why did that person have to go?

There's no describing of that pain, of your heart clutching together, of you falling into a great depression depending on how close that person was to you. You could mourn for a few hours, or days or weeks. Sometimes even years. But no matter how long you mourn, that pain will remain for the rest of your life.

That pain was what I felt. I stared at her body, I couldn't move and couldn't breathe. I could just cry, feeling my heart crumble. I kept asking myself why they killed her. She didn't deserve to die. She deserved to live and let all her hard work pay off.

Her life was snatched away from her with one single bite.

Once one of them pulled me up - I was too upset to care who - I started screaming, thrashing in his grip. I was struggling so much another one had to grab my legs and lift me. They carried me like a wooden floor board out of the house and onto the cold street.

They threw me in the limousine, and I tried to crawl out. But just before they got in themselves and shut the door I heard something that made me freeze.

Apparently, Beth's father had woken up when he heard me screaming. He must've been in shock when he saw me being carried out by three strangers that he decided to search for his daughter in panic. He must've run up the stairs and found his daughter's body on the floor, covered with her own blood.

It must've happened because just before the limousine door closed I heard a heart-breaking cry.

I stared at the open front door, trembling with sadness, pain, and fear. Then the door closed.

A silence fell in the car, while my brain was processing what had happened. Then a sudden rage took over me, and I started to hit the one who was sitting next to me. I pounded my fists on him, screaming with rage and repeatedly asking him why.

None of them did or said anything to stop me.

When we reached the house one of them had to take my shoulders and push me forward; my legs wouldn't move on their own. I felt numb and empty, I thought about nothing but Beth's lifeless face.

Once the front door shut creakingly, I started moving. It didn't matter to me whether they were concerned, or felt anything for that matter.

I went up the stairs, straight into the bedroom where I had spent my past weeks in.

I could hear Benjamin's voice in my head from the night before.

''If you don't, you're going to regret it for the rest of your life.''

I shut the bedroom door behind me, the sound muffled in my head. I only had to listen to him. If I had done that one stupid thing, Beth would still be alive. I could've saved her.