Chapter 14. A Deadly Tea Party

Chapter 14

''Come to me, sweet human thing
Give me your heart and I'll make it sing
Forget your fears, leave them behind
Forget the troubles of your kind''

It was official. My life sucked. I was never going to get out of here, and I would never see my loved ones again. I hugged my pillow tightly against my chest, lying curled up into a ball on the bed. I was staring at a spot on the wall, feeling numb.

Once Dominic had pulled me back to my feet I ran straight back into my room and locked the door. I threw myself on the bed and have been lying on it for a full hour not moving or speaking. For the first half hour, I was crying, and then I kept staring into space.

This was just sickening. Whenever I thought my depression was at its fullest, something would happen which would make it even worse. I could feel it eating away at my heart. School wasn't being much of a distraction, not with Benjamin in my classes. Beth was somewhat distracting me, but afterwards, my pain hit me back like I was running into a brick wall.

I couldn't believe father just left me here... Didn't he fight for me at all?

I was so caught up in my tormented thoughts that I barely heard the knock on my door.

''Leave me alone, whoever you are,'' I murmured, hiding my face in my pillow.

''Miss Coleman?'' I heard from the other side of the door. It was Elizabeth. Why was she so concerned about me all the time? It didn't make any sense to me.

I didn't answer, and after a few seconds, she continued.

''You didn't eat anything earlier, so I brought you some tea and a sandwich,'' she said, and I sighed realizing Dominic probably ordered her to. She wouldn't be concerned about me; she was just following orders.

I released a quiet groan when my stomach responded by growling. I glanced over my shoulder to the balcony door, seeing through the thin white curtains it was almost sunrise.

''Just leave it by the door,'' I answered, my mind on something else instead of food.

It was silent for a while, so I expected Elizabeth had left. But then she answered.

''Yes, miss,'' she said, and after a moment I heard her footsteps fading.

I went back to my spot on the wall, but soon enough my eyes drifted off to the nightstand. Did I want to read more? Was there any use? I had to admit I was curious as to why the brothers were fighting the way they were. However, I was afraid of finding out more. Would there be anything linked to my family in there?

After debating with myself for a minute or two I opened the drawer and took the diary out. I went to the next part, which was a week later from the last part.

''July 3rd, 1863 – Dear Diary,

Nearly a month has gone by since my arrival here. Things are a lot better than I had expected, and I must admit my speculations from before I got here proved to be very wrong. Everyone is showing agreeable behaviour, and I am finding enjoyment in my stay here. Although, not everyone as of late.

I have noticed Beatrice has been presenting very distant and odd behaviour, especially when I am around her. It is confusing and a little frightening, too. Mother has come for a one week visit just to see how I am doing, but both of them were acting even stranger than they did last time...''