The Lie

It has been over two months since Jack and I broke up. I sit in the cockpit swinging on the co-pilot's chair. May sits in the pilots seat almost unaware of my presence. She knows that I am here. But she almost refuses to acknowledge me. Maybe what happened with Jack and I was an accident. I miss him. Or do I just miss the sex?

I remember the way he held me every night. The way he stroked my cheek and said I love you.

I hear Dad call me from down the hall. He want's everyone in the briefing room, now. I stand as far away from Jack as I possibly can. He watches me with great sadness. He misses me, I can tell.

'What's up, Phil?' Skye says excitedly.

'Its a one man mission. Or one woman, depends on who wants to do it. Any way, last night a device was stolen that has the ability to wipe out every electronical device on the planet. Agent Sitwell at the Hub has ask me to send in one member of the team to go in and disable it. It needs every piece for it to work so it's simple enough.' An image appears on the screen showing the device. 'We have Located it and the only way to get there is to parachute in. Who's up for it?'

'I'll do it.' Jack says morbidly

I glance at him slightly

'But be warned, this mission is dangerous. I've been told that armed men line the premises, this could be a death sentence. So be careful.'

'Death?' I blurt out. 'What do you mean? He could die?' I feel a lump rising in my throat. I try to make it sound like I don't care too much about him.

Jack looks at me concerned. Does she care? God I hope she does. Damn it! Why do I always read his mind when I'm upset. He knows I do care, and I can't hide it any more.

'When do I leave, sir?' He says turning back to Dad

'This afternoon, if possible.' He raises an eyebrow

'Yes sir.' He nods, turns and leaves.

Once everyone has left I run to find Skye. I stand in her door way and she sees me 'Hey!' She says 'What's up?'

'Did Dad mention this to anyone before he told everyone?'

She looks at the roof thinking. 'No, why?'

'Jack just seemed to volunteer very quickly.'

'Are you sure you don't feel anything for him?' she asks

'I'm not sure. But I know that I don't want him to go on this bloody mission.' I huff in anger.

She clicks her finger 'You see that's the lie. You say you don't care about him, but deep down, you really do. You have been lying to your self.' All of a sudden an alarm begins to blare 'That would be Jack. Go.'

I turn on my heels and sprint down to the cargo bay. I see Jack picking up a parachute.

'JACK!' I scream. He doesn't hear me. I call his name again just as I am running down the stairs. He hears me but only just over the sound of the wind rushing through the cargo bay.

He turns around to see me running towards him. I launch my self on him, wrapping my arms around his neck and kiss him. He's shocked at first. But then returns the kiss and holds me in his arms. When I break off the kiss I whisper to him 'Don't you dare die, you bastard.'

He holds me tight and whispers back 'As long as you're here when I come back.'

I nod and a tear rolls down my cheek as he walks down the ramp and jumps, plummeting to what could be his death. This whole time, I really did care, I was just scared.