Pieces of the Puzzle

Sorry? What does he have to be sorry about? I wanted it, and I started it both times. I should be sorry. I'm the one to blame.

I eventually manage to drag him away from the window and back to the bed and I promise him only to sleep. I lay up against him, with one hand on his chest and my other under his arm that's wrapped around me, gripping his shoulder. His steady familiar heart beat slowly sends me to sleep.

When I wake its 8 am the next morning. I cautiously slip out of Jack's arms and walk over to the wardrobe. I pull out one of my leather catsuits and go into the bathroom ensuite and turn on the shower. Once I've dressed and fixed my hair I head out to find Dad. I've decided to tell him that Jack and I are back together. 

As I walk down the hall a hand clamps over my my mouth and pulls my out of the corridor. It's Ward.

'What the hell, Ward?'

He holds a finger to his lips and says quietly, 'I have something you might want to see.'

He hands me a folder and I excitedly open it. Photos. That's the only thing thats in it. The top photo is a picture of a house with the windows shattered, the front door blown off it's hinges. The next photo is a woman.with silver blonde hair. Her wide blue eyes filled with horror and fright. Her lifeless body sprawled across the carpet. A graze above her left eyebrow, a fine stream of blood dripping onto the carpet.

I slide the photo to the bottom of the pile. The next photo is a man. with the same deep red hair as me. He lies face down, his arm concealing his face. He shows no sign of serious injury.

'Who are they?' I ask continuing to skim through photos 

'Teresa and Thaladier Holt.' 

The next photo I come to I cannot believe. It's me. The same deep red hair, the braids down my back. The freckles across my nose. 'I don't believe this.' I whisper. 'Where did you get this?' 

'Your Father's office. He left it open on the desk. He must have been looking at it.' Which means he must know what we are trying to do. 

'Do you think he knows?' I close the folder and hand it back to him.

'I dunno. But to be honest, its actually against the highest of protocols to keep this from him.' He's right, unfortunately.

'Damn it.' I smooth my hair back with my fingers and say 'OK.' 

He chuckles to himself and mocks 'It must really suck having the Director of SHIELD as your Father.' 

'You have no idea.' I say turning and leaving.

I find Dad in his office and immidiatly after I close the door he begins yelling at me. 

'Alright. You and Ward have been keeping secrets. Either you are going to tell me or I will get Ward to. So what's it going to be?' 

He took me by surprise. He rarely ever yells at me.

'Dad, I was going to tell you-'

'Really? When were you going to tell me? Were you going to tell me when you had found what you were looking for, or when you were too broken hearted to continue?' 

'No, just now actually. If you would let me explain.' He goes silent and crosses his arms beconing me to continue. 'I've asked Ward to help me find out about my past. To find out what happened to my real parents. I asked him to keep it just between the two of us. That's why Jack got mad and hit me.'

He gives me an understanding nod. 'You do understand that I actually have to approve of you doing this, don't you?'

'Yes.' I reply grimly. He's not. I'm sure of it.

'Good.'He says morbidly. 'But I wish I could say "What you'll find will be OK." But honestly, even I don't know what you'll find.' He walks aroung the desk and stands infront of me. 'If you really are going to continue this,' He pauses and searches through his pockets. He pulls out a black flash drive with the SHIELD logo printed across it 'You are going to need the pieces of the puzzle. And I'd start with this.'

He has been working on this aswell. How long has he known about it though. I carefully take it and envelope it in my fingers. When he opens his arms I go into them and he holds me tightly. 'I love you.' He says sweetly

'I love you too.'