Public Secrets

As soon as I pull into the cargo bay, Dad runs over and examines every square inch of the car. 'Dont worry. She's perfectly fine.' I reasure him but he checks it anyway.

I hop out of the car and I notice Jack is standing over by the stairs. His arms are folded and his facial expression is disappointed and upset. 

'What's wrong?' I ask cupping his cheek in my hand. But he quickly grabs it and pulls it away harshly 'Ow!' He is clearly pissed at  something. 'Seriously, what's wrong?'

'Why did you lie to me?' My eyebrows furrowed and he said 'Your Father told me everything.'

What!? How could he do that. 'Of course he did. Why don't you just tell the whole world?'

'That's a good idea. Why don't I?' He raises his voice. He's scareing me.

'Jack, I kept it between me and Ward because he was the first person I found and I trust him.' I can feel my eyes filling with tears. 

'O that's right. You and Ward. That's a thing now isn't it? You don't trust ME!' He points to himself and then somewhere into the distance. 'But you trust HIM? Why? What did I ever do to you to make you feel so insecure and unsafe. I told you that I loved you. I was there for you when no one else was. When you were sick, who do you think was by your side the entire time? Who was watching over you? Who was the one protecting you when no one else would?' He pauses and waits for an answer. 

I can't give him one though.

'What are you talking about?' I utter

'I was the one who came into to your room, after I hit you kissed you on the forehead and told you I loved you. Who did you think it was?' Oh my God!! I thought that had been Dad, but now Jack was telling me it had been him. 'When you were having nightmare that you didn't even remember I was there for you, I held you in my arms because I was scared for you. I couldn't bare to see you suffer, because it hurt me too.

I wasn't even aware of his presence while I was sick or the nightmares. 'What are you talking about, Jack? No one was with me. You can't have been there.' 

His face is shocked. 'You really don't remember.' He turns his head away from me and sighs heavily. 'Do you Love me?' He asks me.

HOLY SHIT! Why is he asking me this? 'Jack, I don't know...'

He cuts me off and repeats himself 'Do you love me??' 

Do I? I'm not entirely sure. I said I did, but now?

'No.'