Chapter 3- Reunited

Everly

Pain.

All I can feel is red hot pain radiating through my body, as if I am one exposed nerve ending. Opening my eyes I stare at the wood beam ceilings above me.

Where am I?

Feeling like I am being watched, I slowly turn my head to the right and gasp when I see two men staring at me. The one standing, I recognize from the dirt road.

"Mr. Blue Eyes," I mumble. He looks down at me with a confused expression.

The other man, sitting on the coffee table leans in close to me. His skin is a collection of colors and designs that peek out from his clothing. His neck and scalp have tattoos as well. His elbows are resting on his knees, which are bouncing, while he clasps his hands together. He is staring at me with tears pooled in his familiar eyes.

My breath catches when I realize, "Danny?" I whisper.

"Hey, Evie," he greets, using the nickname I've only heard him and my mother use.

"Oh my goodness! You're...huge," I choke out through my tears which are now freely flowing. "And, you have tattoos!" I joke. The two of them laugh.

Shrugging, Danny says, "A lot has happened the past ten years, Evie."

I look into his eyes and quietly say, "Yes, a lot has."

He reaches for my hand and I fail in my attempt not to flinch. He bows his head and his shoulders tense before he says, "I am so sorry, Everly." Lifting his head, I see the sorrow and regret in his eyes.

Suddenly, Mr. Blue Eyes steps forward and grips Danny's shoulder. "Dan," he says, "Let's get her to Doc and CeCe."

"Who?" I ask.

Danny looks at me and stands up. "We called in our local doctor and his wife. She's a nurse and they're here to help you."

I let Danny help me stand but instantly regret that decision as pain shoots up from my feet. I cry out and collapse back on the couch. "My feet," I attempt to explain.

Danny sits back on the table and gently places my feet in his lap and removes my shoes.

"Jesus, Evie," he mutters as we all take in my bloody socks.

Standing back up, he lifts me into his arms. It is the closest thing to a hug I have felt in years. I grip his neck with my good arm and burrow my face into his neck. Fighting tears and losing the battle, I breathe in the scent that is my brother, my twin.

Looking over his shoulder, my eyes meet the stranger that brought me here. Unable to verbalize anything comprehensible, I mouth a silent, "Thank you." His smile reminds me of the spark I felt before I passed out and the look in his eyes tell me that he remembers also.

" His smile reminds me of the spark I felt before I passed out and the look in his eyes tell me that he remembers also