Chapter 1

Bailee's POV

I really don't want to go to New York City. I mean, yeah it's a pretty great place and all, but I would rather stay home and watch stuff on Netflix all day. But no, I have to go to NYC with my father. Not to mention, he hasn't even been here for pretty much all of my life. He left when I was three. I am now 18. Throughout those 15 years I would visit him, but not alone and not very often. My mom would go with me. She never really wanted me to go visit him because he was an alcoholic at the time. I think I only ever saw him at least five or six times. We don't really have a great relationship and I don't even think he likes me. My mom, on the other hand, is amazing. I couldn't ask for anyone better. She has given up so much for me. She doesn't want to send me off with my dad, but she has no choice. She has a business trip. I grab my bags and bring them downstairs. Just as I'm setting the last one down my dad pulls into the driveway. He gets out of his car and comes to the front door. "Hurry up and get your ass in the car!" he screams at me. Nice to see you too dad. He doesn't even ask if I need any help, but that's no surprise to me. I drag my bags down to the car and put them in the trunk. I hop in the front seat and soon realize how gross this car is. It reeks and is very dirty. This is going to be a very long ride, I can already tell.

•••

We finally reach New York City and pull up in front of this tiny apartment. Again, my dad doesn't bother to help me with my bags. As I walk into his apartment I find him in the kitchen getting a beer. I notice five other beer bottles by his chair in the living room. I wonder if he was drunk while driving us here. "Were you drunk while driving here??" He looks at me with a weird look and says "Who cares if I was?" This makes me furious. "I care! You could've gotten both of us killed or someone else killed because of your stupidity!" As soon as I said that I regretted it. "What the hell did you just say to me? Say it again. I dare you." I stand there, not knowing what to say and before I can do anything he has me by the arm and screams at me. "IF YOU EVER DISRESPECT ME AGAIN THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE FAR WORSE!!" He lets go of my arm which is now throbbing and goes to his chair in the living room. I stand there, tears in my eyes. Why do I have to be here? I bring my bags into the spare room and climb out the window. I walk away from that hell hole and go find a bar. I enter the bar and even though I'm 18 I guess I look old enough to be able to drink as the bar tender asks me what I want. I tell him to just get me a beer. I sit there and fiddle with the napkins and I notice a girl walk in. She sits down next to me. I always knew I sort of liked girls, but now I was absolutely positive. She was gorgeous. She had brown hair with blonde tips and, not to mention, half of her head was shaved and I found that extremely sexy. She was wearing a leather studded jacket, a band shirt, ripped black jeans, and black combat boots. As I kept admiring her, I soon realized who it was. Demi. Freakin. Lovato. I always liked her. She has good music and she is really cute and funny. Just overall she is an amazing person and I look up to her. But why is she here in a bar? I thought she was sober? She looks over at me and seems to have read my mind. "I'm here to be alone. Since I don't drink this is the last place everyone would expect me to be." Still in shock that she is sitting next to me and talking to me I don't say anything. "Cat got your tongue?" I come out of my trance. "Sorry, I'm just amazed that you're sitting next to me. And I guess that makes sense." The bartender finally comes back with my drink. He sees Demi and asks her if she wants anything and she says no and that she is just here to chill. "How old are you?" she asks. "Uhm, I'm 18..." "And you're drinking? Please don't do that. It's not good for you. Sober is the new black." I look down, knowing that she is right. I push my drink away. "Hey, do you wanna leave this place and go somewhere else? You seem pretty cool and we should hangout." "Oh sure, definitely. I have nothing else to do besides go back to my asshole of a dad." "Well, why don't you forget about your dad for now and come have a fun day? I think that sounds like a good plan, what about you?" "Yeah, I just need to forget about him right now and go have some fun." She smiles and gets up from her bar stool. "You coming?" she says as she looks back at me and smiles and heads for the door.