Chapter 18: Separated

Start from the beginning

“Nope. Baby, something came up…” I started.

“What happened, Jeric?!” she hysterically said.

“Calm down, babe. Everything’s fine. I just can’t go straight home. I have to go to Dad,” I told her. There’s no lies in that statement. Dad’s with Tanya.

“It’s okay, Jec. The twins are still here. I’m sure they won’t mind spending more time with me. Matatagalan ka ba?” she asked on the other line.

“I’m not sure, babe. I’ll text you when I get to Dad,” I said.

“You’re still gonna come home for dinner naman diba?” she asked. I can hear something in her voice, pleading?

“Of course, honey. I’ll be home by dinner,” I told her. “Are you sure it’s fine with Paul and Paula to stay there a little longer? I can call Shobe to accompany you.”

“Yes and don’t bother Almira anymore. I’m fine here,” she told me.

“Okay. I’ll see you later. Call or text me if something…” I started.

“…comes up. I already know that, Jec. Sige na. Finish your errands and come home to me,” She said with her sweet voice.

“I will. I love you,” I told her.

“Take care, Jec. I love you too,” she said. I hang up and slid my phone in my pocket. I started the car and went to the construction firm.

I was stuck in traffic for almost an hour and a half. When I arrive at the firm, I saw dad first.

“Sorry, dad. Natraffic po kasi ako. Andito pa ba si Tanya?” I asked Dad when I reached him.

“Yes. She’s waiting for you inside,” Dad told me. I went inside the room and Dad followed me. Tanya was talking to two middle aged men. Lying on the table are scattered blue prints, a lot of pictures and brochures. Tanya looked up when she noticed that someone was standing in front of them. She stood up and reached her hand out to me. I shook it.

“You said there was an emergency,” I said.

“Yes. I’m, sorry for disrupting our day. I just really need your approval on this. By the way, this is Architect Darwin Magbanua and our supplier Mr. Joemar Castro,” Tanya introduced the other two men. I shook hands with them. Dad also did the same as he continue to observe us.

“What happened?” I asked.

“The materials for the flooring of the house are out of stock for now. They’ll be available in four months. I know you’re in a hurry to get this done. If we rush the delivery, it’s going to be a whole lot expensive. So, I talked to Mr. Castro if there are alternatives as high quality as the first choice. He said he has other options for you, as good as the first one, but the over-all look will be affected. I can’t approve the changes unless you say so,” Tanya explained. “Here, I’ll show you the samples.”