Chapter Forty-Five

Harry.

"Excuse me?" Liam immediately said upon hearing his name. The shock was evident on his face, as it was with all of ours. It made sense why he would be picked out of all of us if I wouldn't take on the role, but what's the motive behind it?

Taurus laughed lowly and nodded his head. "Yes. I believe I was heard correctly."

"Why do you chose me?"

His eyes went down the line of us. "Well, if Zayn hadn't showed that he was just as soft as the rest of you, he would have been my first choice, how can he take on the tough decisions? We don't know nearly enough information about Louis, how do we know he'll take on the responsibility? And we don't believe that Niall is mature enough to handle important matters."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. They were still treating Niall as if he were a child because they knew him when he was human, and just because Zayn took a mate it automatically meant to them that he's soft. The reason they rejected Louis was justified in a potential leadership way, but it was still frustrating.

Taurus continued his speak as he finally looked towards Liam. "And you, Liam, you have had your mate throughout your entire vampire life. She has never distracted you from deciding what's right. You're the second oldest of the five of you, we believe, and you're smart. That's the kind of leadership the vampire world needs. Especially now that the lamias are planning something against us."

"When did you receive word on that?" I asked, and crossed my arms.

"There have been whispers for a long time, Harry, but recently they have stepped up their degree. We believe the lamias are planning for a second war. Would you want to fight two wars at the same time, or will you do as we ask?"

I looked towards Liam and back to him. "It isn't my decision, Taurus. Liam will need to make this choice."

"And I will have to talk it over with Leigha," Liam said, straightening his back. "She's my mate, and my wife, and my best friend. I don't make decisions that could affect her without her input."

Taurus sighed. "That is your only fault. That you allow a woman to taint your mind. If you were smart, Liam, you would have her locked away for personal use and make your own choices."

"Then I'm a fool in your eyes, Taurus, because that isn't how I make my decisions," he immediately responded, clasping his hands behind his back.

He sighed once more. "Yes. You are." He turned away before looking back towards me. "I will obviously give you time to decide. But I would like the answer to be given in person. So I assume you will be staying a few days on the Isle?"

My jaw locked. I didn't want to spend a second longer on this damn island than I needed to, and I knew everyone in the room, including Taurus, knew that. "We have other matters to attend to, Taurus. Especially if what you say about the lamias is true."

"It is true," he said, and cocked his head. "Is that why you keep that lamia as a pet? For information?" He paused, almost laughing. "Is he some sort of double agent?"

I almost laughed at his statement because it was amusing to think of Damaris as an agent of any kind. "No. And he isn't a pet. Damaris is a friend. A nuisance, yes, but friend as well."

"Blasphemy!" Drogo shouted, all attention turning to him. "You dare take a lamia and call it a friend when we are on a brink with war? How idiotic can you be?"

"Drogo," Taurus warned as he looked towards him. "Enough."

"Taurus, they are clearly helping-,"