Chapter 5: Rescued

Song: I Want to Live by Skillet

*

*

My men and I work under the cover of night once more, on our way to plunder the old storage house of its riches. It is believed, according to by men and I, to have many precious stones from around the world that is worth a lot of money.

Every single one of my members is dressed in black, with their guns drawn as we near the old, run down building. But even though this building may look abandoned, there very well could be many guards inside, waiting to blow the brains out of any outsider who dares to enter.

"Jeremy, Krazy, and Nick, go scale the property, make sure there isn't any traps or men lurking in the shadows. And if there is, kill them. Once you think the place is generally clear, come back and give us the signal." I say lowly to my three skilled members. They nod, and throw their hoods over their heads and creep away, disappearing into the darkness.

And so we wait.

We wait like a patient leopard in the grass, about to pounce on its prey.

And finally, it is time. We get the signal and we close in. The door was old and rickety, so I quickly kick it open, and draw my weapon in immediate defense, expecting there to be a guard there.

But there is no one.

Odd. If this place had riches, surely there would be guards.

I motion with my head for my men to spread out and search this dingy building. Jordan and Drew stay behind me for back up, as we creep through the dark, dusty hallways. Everything smells of mold and dust, and the paint is chipping off the walls, the floors creek with every step, and rats scurry about. Mold crawls along the walls, and the distant sound of a leaky pipe is heard through the building, adding to the eerie feeling.

Even though the building looked abandoned, signs of life stood out. An old, box television sat on the floor of what looked like the living room, the power button was glowing. Beer cans littered the floor, and traces of blood dotted the floors.

The lack of guards made me feel discouraged. Because truly, if this place had valuable items, there would be many guards and gang members swarming the place. But I urge myself to move on, and reaching the upper level of the building, I see some old, wooden stairs in the corner of the dark room. I make my way over to them, and am about to step up on one when I hear a small squeal behind me. I turn around swiftly, and see Drew terrified of a large rat that is creeping towards him.

I harshly bring my finger to my lips, telling him to shut up. His eyes widen as he looks up at me, and down to the rat again. Jordan, who is standing next to him, rolls his eyes and mutters the word wimp under his breath. Drew gives Jordan a death glare, and I watch in shock as Drew loads his gun, and shoots the rat dead, the loud gunshot ringing through the air.

I scold Drew with my eyes, because now, if there is anyone here or in the nearby area, they could have been alerted. I shake my head angrily and continue to walk up the stairs which creek with every step.

On the top of the stairs, and old door hanging off the hinges sits closed. I gently nudge the door open, and spring into the room, pointing my gun around just in case someone was there to attack. My men do the same, but soon lower their guns when they find that this room is vacant too. It's a small room, with no bed, pictures, or any signs of life. Once again, the room is moldy and rotting, and the wooden floors seem as if they could give out any minute.

Blood paints the walls like a canvas, and it's then that I notice a small, shadowed figure curled up in the corner of the room. I motion Jordan and Drew to follow me, as I creep up closer with my gun pointed at it.