Part 38

"Attention everyone!" Hugh shouted, halting everyone in their place. "The newsletter that was handed out a couple days ago was regarding a charity event hosted by Chairman Lee. If you have not read through the newsletter, it will be held next Wednesday, and will begin at 6 PM. Your attendance is mandatory, as we will be discussing construction of a binary rehabilitation center in Riverside. That's all."

Everyone went back to work. Tiana left her cubicle and headed toward the elevators, glued to her phone. Hugh almost jogged to catch up with her. When her focus remained on the phone, he made his way in front of her, blocking her path. Her face collided with his chest and her phone went flying to the floor.

"Sorry." she mumbled, still in daze. Hugh picked up her phone noticing the picture on it's wallpaper.

"Cute kid." Hugh smiled. Tiana immediately snatched back the phone.

"M-My niece." she stammered before punching the elevator's button in an attempt to escape.

Hugh nodded, confused by her frantic behavior. "Okay."

Tiana once again reached past him to hit the elevator button for the second time. "Remember I'm taking you to your car after work... You okay?" Hugh asked.

"Fine, what about you?" she responded while pressing once again.

"I'd be better if you could look me in the eyes."

The elevator doors finally opened, earning a sigh of relief from Tiana. She stepped in, her deep red heels almost puncturing the carpeting as she did. 

"Goodbye Mr. Nahm, I'm on lunch break." And then the doors closed just as quickly as they'd opened and she was gone.

Contemplating those last two minutes of conversation, Hugh headed over to his office to retrieve his own cellphone. His assistant, Janet, was seated at her desk which was placed conveniently beside his office door. She was focused intently on the screen of her desktop computer, more than likely scrolling down her Facebook page instead of working. He opened his door to enter his office before he was stopped by Janet's voice.

"Oh, Hugh. I need next Thursday off. I have a blind date and my mom insists I take the entire day off to get ready. 'If you nab this man you won't need that job!' she says." Janet rolled her eyes at her own imitation of her mother. "You know how my mom is." she added.

"Only what I hear of her." Hugh laughed while entering his office and quickly grabbing his phone. "That's fine," he said. "You hardly take time off anyway."

"Thanks," she said as he walked away. Hugh couldn't help but laugh, it reminded him of his own mother.

Now nearing Jin's office, he strode past Mason and came in, as usual, unannounced and without knocking.

"Will you ever learn to knock?" Jin peered up at him from his paperwork.  Hugh ignored him, knowing he was the only one who could enter Jin's room or office without pleasantries. Jin was his brother and he had no secrets to hide that Hugh wasn't already aware of.

Hugh snatched the paper that Jin was so focused on, right up from under his pen. "What's this?" Hugh asked, not really needing an answer after skimming through it. "Embezzlement." He said, finally. "So you knew?"

"Of course I knew, the income statement and balance sheet are my bedtime stories. When did you find out?" Jin asked.

"I started suspecting a little while ago, but only a couple of days ago were my suspicions confirmed." he said, handing the paper back over to Jin. "If we're not checking our adjustments at least on a daily or weekly basis we're  basically killing ourselves."

"Have you spoken with Henry Slater?"

"Not yet."

"Good," Jin said,"I'll enjoy handling him myself."

Hugh laughed."Well, I hope you'll enjoy the present I'm sending your way even more."

"Present?" Jin asked. 

"Don't even ask, you'll find out soon enough." Hugh answered before Jin could bombard him with a barrage of questions. "Anyway gotta make my rounds to remind everyone about the charity event next Wednesday."

Swiftly, he exited the room to make his escape. Jin shook his head and then returned to his paperwork. Soon after, Mason buzzed through the intercom "Mr. Lee, Ms. Pearson is here to see you."

Jin rolled his eyes, knowing this had something to do with Hugh and his obsession with the idea of he and Nicole getting together. "Send her in." he said. 

Nicole walked in, folder in hand, and said "Thanks Mason." before shutting the door behind her.

Was she on first name basis with everyone except for him?

"I was asked to give you this. Blueprints for the binary rehabilitation center."

"Thank you." he said shortly and grabbed the folder before stacking it atop a mound of unsorted paperwork.

"Only you could have thought of something like this." Nicole smiled. "A binary rehabilitation center where they hold lessons on the dangers of drugs and alcohol for the public and in a low-income community where people are targeted the most by tobacco and other drug companies. Having free food as an added incentive for the community was clever too," she smirked. 

Then her features softened, she was being completely serious. "You continue to make me grateful for the opportunity to work here." 

"Well, I wasn't the only one who made this happen." 

"But it was your idea, Hugh told me that most of the projects we carry out here come from your ideas. I'm an intern with Disease Prevention, because you had positions available in this department. But one day, I want to be apart of that, creating wonderful visions of better futures and working to make that happen. That is my dream. Not just preventing diseases, but helping people with them, like you do."

Jin was happy to hear it. Nicole did seem like the innovative type. She was curious and observant, good qualities for the this type of establishment. Jin hoped to encourage and foster an innovative environment, where his employees could feel free to explore ideas that could change the community for good.

Everything happened at once, in a flash. The short buzz of the intercom, signaling Mason had something to say, then shouting behind the door. The door swung open and history replayed itself. Jasmine was back, again. Mason again failed to restrain her from storming into his office. And Jasmine stood still, staring at the two, who seconds before were staring into each other's eyes.

Mason silently gestured his apologies, before shutting the door behind him and again the three of them were left in his office. Nicole and Jin exchanged looks. 

Uh oh.

Jasmine quickly switched her focus onto Jin.

"It's happening!" she exclaimed.

"You say that as if I know what  you're talking about."

"I told you," she said, looking at Nicole now and being careful not to divulge too much information. "That I would end this. That I would make it right."

"What do you mean, Jasmine?"

"She found out."