Part 16

"What is it that you want from me?" Jin said, obviously not in the mood to beat around the bush.

"Well, gosh, I'm doing well too! Thanks so much for asking."

"Small talk is not my thing, you know that. Now tell me why you're here."

"I miss you." Jasmine said. Standing up from the couch on the far side of his office, she stalked over to him and placed a hand on his chest.

Jin threw her hand down, in a fit of anger, "Don't give me that crap!"

Jin went to sit behind his desk and plopped himself down into his black swivel chair with a sigh. "Please, just tell me why you're here. Did he leave you again?"

"Don't..." she pleaded.

"Don't? Don't what, Jasmine? Don't bring up the man you slept with? Don't bring up the reason why my life was ruined?"

"Why are you being so dramatic?! Your life was ruined? Really? You seem to be doing fine to me! And clearly you've moved on to greener pastures," she said, a twisted smile covering her face. "Who was that by the way? Does she know about us?"

"There is no us! And don't bring her into this."

Jasmine pouted, crossing her arms, her bottom lip stuck out like that of a child, as her eyes roamed the room. The walls were a brilliant white color. A beige colored carpet covered the floor. Cherry wood bookshelves, filled with books ranging from auto-biographies to the classics, lined the walls. In the midst of it all sat his large L-shaped glass desk littered with papers, electronics, and files. And two black arm chairs sat facing his desk.

"You sure have been living well." She purred, turning to face him after examining his office. "I wonder what your apartment looks like inside."

"Why are you here?"

BEEP BEEP BEEP!
The urgent, screeching cry, came from her cell phone.

She pulled it from her pocket and swiped her finger across it. The beeping stopped. She placed it in her black tote bag and as she pulled her hand from the bag, her cell phone was replaced with an orange prescription bottle.

Jin stared with concern.

As if she could read his mind, she chuckled and said, "If I don't set an alarm, I'll forget to take them." She threw her head back as she swallowed one of the large pills dry, and placed the bottle back in her purse. Then she smirked, her eyes lifted to the ceiling as though she were reminiscing or holding back tears. "You know sometimes I do forget? Not just the pills, but my condition. Sometimes..." she paused again, swallowing. "Sometimes I feel like an ordinary, healthy person, and I forget." she shrugged her shoulders, her eyes, now glued to the ground.

Jin's face was unreadable, she knew he was holding back questions, facial expressions, and tears. He had nothing to say, there was nothing else to be said. He'd said his piece four years ago.

"Look, I'm here, because I'm through with him."

Jin sat staring at her, his silence unnerving and making her flustered. "I want to be honest, to come clean, to be free of this guilt." she continued.

"What does that have to do with me?" Jin questioned.

"Jin, baby, I'm sorry."

"Don't say that!" Jin bellowed, squeezing his eyes shut. "No more 'I'm sorry'!" Jin rubbed his temples, realizing that trying to have a civilized conversation with Jasmine would give him an aneurysm.

"I'm serious this time, I realized that I haven't been happy in years. And when I thought about it, I realized that the last time I was happy, was when I was with you."

"If that's all you have to say, then you should leave. Now." Jin stood up, resolved to end this tonight, once and for all. "You know very well what my response to you will be. So you should know, just as well, that I ended that chapter a long time ago, and I have no desire to undo my hard work in burying it 6-feet under." he looked at her with harsh eyes. Cold, hard, and unswerving was his demeanor. "Goodbye, Jasmine."

"Fine," she said, losing her resolve after hearing his hostile response. "I'll show you myself, how serious I am."

And out she walked, strutting out of his office and down the corridor.