Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"What has he done to you? He seems like a nice enough man."
"He harassed his sister; one who I consider being my own; into going into a workhouse. That was something I could never forgive. Rosetta is barely alive at this very minute. My poor Rosie, alone at five."
"Rosetta is five?"
"Yes. She just had her birthday. I went two days ago to visit her. She was deathly pale."
"Why do you not adopt her?"
"I would need a wife for that. Eighteen is too young. I'm thirteen years older than my favourite cousin."
"Well, you might as well get hitched as soon as possible for your cousin to survive."
Matt's face registered shock, and Abigail realized too late how poor her choice of words was. He stepped back, and she stepped forward. "Matt, I did not mean it like that. I meant it in all seriousness. Why not just allow me to get her?"
"You'd have to give away who you are."
"I'll wear a veil and nice clothing. No one will recognize my face, and I will sell the clothes after I get little Rosie."
Matt hugged her with such force, it made Abigail's heart pound. "Matt, I'll get her on the morrow."
"I will go with you, and say I am a knight of Duke Richard Poniton. To help Rosetta and you."
She kissed him. Only for a second, because passerby were glaring in their direction.

The next day, they set off. Abigail had prepared her nicest clothing and Matt had worn his knight's hunting clothes. He pressed on the small of her back to push her forward. Abigail felt inside the folds of her dress and was relieved to feel a tiny amount of change in there. She could bribe the holder.
They arrived with little hassle, which immediately set Abi on her guard. The workhouse was a run-down shack with slight glowing candles. They walked in, coughing the damp air. It was a miracle little Rosetta had survived this so far.
"Hello. May I help you? Drop offs, pickups?" A woman behind the counter, whose nameplate read Ms. Jedker, spoke. She tried to keep the fear from her voice show. Surely she knew what the red symbol on Matt's shirtfront meant. Abigail spoke before Matt could do anything rash.

"Yes. We are here to see my knight's cousin, Rosetta Wesley."

Ms. Jedker's face reigned shock at hearing 'knight'. "Who are you? I cannot see you."
"I am Lady Abigail Everett. I wish to take Rosetta Wesley from here."
Ms. Jedker ran into the workhouse, followed by Matt and Abi. Abigail saw coughing children, groaning parents, and sick elderly. They were all weaving clothes and making boots. Occasional cries filled the damp air, making Abigail force down her food, which was threatening to make a dramatic reappearance.

"Oh my goodness! This is not a workhouse!" After her response, Matt grabbed her hand and held it tightly.
Ms. Jedker rushed up holding a sick little girl. Her face once could have been beautiful. Hunger and homeliness stole her beauty. She saw Matt and lunged from Ms. Jedker's arms and into Matt's. Abigail pulled a medium amount of money from her pocket and made the woman swear to keep everyone well fed. She swore it.

A while later, Abi and Matt were still walking, waiting for the child to wake up. She had fallen asleep as soon as they began the long walk home. Little Rosetta woke up with a start. Matt stroked her hair and whispered to her.

"Oh, my poor Rosie. What did they do to you, sweetheart?"
The little girl choked down sobs. She had earlier given Abigail a weak hug and had fallen asleep in her arms. The five-year-old awoke in her cousin's strong and steady arms.

"They did not feed me. I was so scared! Every night I cried for Mama or Papa or Sammy to come and get me, but nobody came!"
"Baby," Abi began, as gently as she could, "Sam gave you away."
Rosetta sobbed into Matt's shoulder and nodded. Matt gave Abi an approving nod and kissed the girl's forehead. She nuzzled against his body and fell asleep again. Matt rocked her gently in his arms, and Abi sensed that compassion was swelling from his body. Abi knew that this was what he would be like as a father. Strong, loving and reliable. Matt would make a wonderful father. She stopped her thoughts. Why am I thinking this? We have only been courting for a few months now.