Chapter Seventeen

Matt knew he was in trouble the instant Lord Nolan grabbed his collar. He tried to fight, but Lord Nolan kept his sword point at Matt's throat. Matt had no interest in dying today or any day soon. When they arrived at the castle, Matt couldn't help but feel a sense of sorrow. The castle was in no clean state; it was quite the opposite. The gardens were unkept, and the house itself was unclean.

"What happened?"
"King Charles thinks it is perfect for his mood nowadays. After his niece died, he lost the feeling of love and need. He did not fire the staff, but they are taking a much-needed vacation."
"It's a good thing Sara got out of here when she did."
Lord Nolan, still holding Matt's collar, nodded. "Indeed. She would have surely died if Abigail had not left with her. My bride-to-be would not have survived either. Sara can heal anything, and Abigail could take notice of things people had never noticed."
Matt had never realized that, and he was about to ask before he remembered that Abigail was "dead", and also that she did not want Lord Nolan knowing she was alive. The one reason Abigail ran away was that of Lord Nolan. Personally, Matt did not believe that the man was cruel.

"So, Lord Nolan, how do you really feel since Lady Abigail died?"
"Strangely sad. I never wanted my bride to die, but she was always weak. She could never last a week in a peasant's village. You stupid peasants always cheat things."
Matt couldn't take any more of Lord Nolan's ranting about how stupid peasants were and how weak Abigail "was". He punched him in the mouth, and Lord Nolan just stood to stare in surprise. After knocking a few teeth out, Lord Nolan came to his senses and blocked Matt's following hits. Matt willingly let the anger disappear, and he glared in Lord Nolan's direction. Lord Nolan held his handkerchief to his mouth and hauled Matt upstairs.

"Clean him up and throw him into the dungeon. We need information." Lord Nolan directed these orders at the guard, Robert. Matt vaguely remembered Robert from when he broke his leg. Matt nodded at the guard. "Robert."
Robert looked shocked and whispered into the earl's ear. Lord Nolan nodded and threw Matt into a bedroom. His old one, he realized with a shock. A lot of his things were still there, including his favourite clothes and his hockey stick. He held the stick with tenderness and felt a hammering in his heart. He should not be here. Abigail would worry. Matt had to attend Sara and Ben's wedding. Matt was the best man. He had to escape. He'd done it before here. How hard could it be the second time?
Lord Nolan arrived and seeing Matt clutching to his hockey stick was apparently too much. Lord Nolan watched Matt change into his favourite clothes, which still smelled like home and no later escorted Matt into the dungeon. Matt realized how hard it would be to get past the prison guard, William. William was also a night guard, but King Charlie had downgraded him to the prison guard. William took a quick look around and unlocked the door to Matt's cage. "Get out, quick. There is a wedding that you need to go to. Help Abigail. I know she is still alive. Do not bother to lie."
Matt ran out and nodded. Matt took the same door he had the first night he ran. It was pitch-black outside, but William handed him a lantern and a black steed with white splotches on its sides. "Here. Take Midnight and get out of here." After checking Matt was secure, William slapped Midnight's rump. The horse went charging into the darkness.

The two arrived in the village near morning. "Come now, Midnight. I need to get you stabled and fed."
Matt led Midnight up to Lord and Lady Ward's home and knocked on the door. Lady Potter opened the door and smiled warmly at Matt. "So glad to see you, Matt. Miss Abigail told me you would be around here sometime. Is that another horse? You know Tristan cannot have another stall placed."
"I know, my lady. I just need a temporary home for Midnight. Lord Nolan grabbed me and the prison guard let me go. He recognized me and sent me off. Midnight has been running all night, and he needs a stable, food and water."
Lady Potter smiled. "Of course. I will show you to a stall." She walked through the door, and Matt noticed her middle had expanded. She followed his eye and smiled. "Yes, the baby is due soon. Natalia is to wed today, and I am quite happy for my daughter."
Matt had courted Natalia for three days before realizing she was not meant for him. Benjamin had gladly taken up Matt's absence, and courted Natalia until their engagement. Nonetheless, Matt smiled at Lady Potter. "I am glad for Natalia. I will take Midnight down, I just need you to show me a stall."
Lady Potter nodded again and her husband saw her walking down the path. "Hannah! You're supposed to stay inside until the baby is born! Come back inside, my lady."
Lady Potter walked back up the path and into her husband's arms. He picked her up and put her upstairs. After returning, he took his wife's place and took Midnight down himself. That left Matt to stand around awkwardly at the door. Natalia came running downstairs in her bridal gown. She stopped at the sight of Matt and blushed. "Where's Papa?"
"Your father is taking my new horse to the stalls. I am glad for you, Natalia. Benjamin seems nice enough, and if you are happy, I am happy."
Natalia narrowed her eyes. "But you left me. That was not unnoticed. Papa always asks why we never were together long, so I told him the truth."
"I am sorry Natalia. You gave me demands that I could and can't fulfill in my current position, and I hope Benjamin will always keep them in order."
"All I said was that we needed to talk for at least an hour every week."