Chapter Eighteen

Sara had begun her worrying about her wedding. There were only three days left, and Ben had only showed up at Miss Mya's twice since Miss Natalia's own wedding. Sara heard sobbing one night, and she lit the oil lamp to see who it was. Miss Abigail was sitting up in bed, holding her head in her hands. Sara walked over to her, and Miss Abigail peeked up, her eyes red. She fell into Sara's open arms and sobbed. Sara wondered what could have happened to have such a reaction. Miss Abigail sneezed and reached for her handkerchief, which was marred by her tears. Sara handed hers over; it was old anyway.

"Whatever is wrong, Miss Abigail?"
Miss Abigail coughed into her fist and retched over the side of the bed. She had a fever, but fevers were no cause for tears like this.

"Miss Abigail, as your nurse and friend, I demand you give me an answer."
She hiccupped. "It's Matt. He has started training, and rumour has it that he is seeing another woman. He is supposed to be courting me, and if he is seeing another lady, I have no idea what would happen. They could end up courting and Matt would have still left me. I saw him pick up Natalia Monfery's engagement ring after she threw it to the ground."
"My lady, it could have been for you."
"No, it was too exquisite to be for me." Lady Abigail hiccupped again, this time louder, and burst into tears again. Sara patted her back awkwardly, and at that moment, Miss Mya came rushing in. "Girls! What has happened? Abigail, are you all right? Goodness, you frightened Cameron and me!"
Lady Abigail wailed into Sara's nightdress, and Sara recited the story. Miss Mya's expression went from shock to sadness to worry. "Abigail, are you well? Sometimes troubles of the heart make people physically unwell. Did Matthew do or say anything during his last visit to indicate he was seeing someone else?"
Lady Abigail poked her head out and shuddered. "His last visit was at Natalia and Benjamin's wedding. He did not say anything then. I only assumed the rumours were wrong because he was away training for work. I am working a lot now, and the tiredness has taken away my ability to think sometimes. I find myself writing letters to Matthew, and getting no response."
"Abigail, 'tis only been two days, and he might be writing a reply back now."
"There is no way. He said he would not write much, but the rumours also state his new woman has received more than one every day. I miss him." At her confession, Miss Abigail burst into tears anew and frankly scared Miss Mya. Their hostess took one small step forward and replaced Sara. Lady Abigail sobbed into Miss Mya's new nightgown, but their hostess did not appear to be bothered by it. Nate and Mr. Chiffent knocked, followed by Tris and Selena. Mr. Chiffent held Cole, who was screaming and wriggling. Mr. Chiffent did not bother the comfort his son, he just looked to his wife in question. "Mya?"
"Cam, can you put Cole to bed, please? He needs his sleep. As soon as you are done that, can you come back in here? I need help reassuring Abigail."
Mr. Chiffent nodded and walked off, holding a struggling Cole. The baby clung to his father as they walked through the door, and Sara heard the door click shut behind them. Nate looked in confusion from Sara to his mother and finally resting on Miss Abigail. "She heard the rumours, did she not?"
"She did," Tris spoke up, blushing terribly. Sara immediately assumed the worst. "Did you start them?"
"No. I thought she should be on her guard for questions, so I told her the day he started training."
Two nights filled to the brim with sadness, longing, worry, guilt and heart-wrenching loneliness. Sara worried that Lady Abigail would do something rash and inappropriate.
An idea found its way into her head. "We should get Matthew to spend the day with Miss Abigail. It would surely break the tension and maybe give him a chance to prove the rumours wrong."
Lady Abigail's head snapped up. "A whole day with him? Where would we go? To my old home, or somewhere beautiful like that?"
Sara glared daggers at her. "No. We are not going anywhere near the castle, my lady. How about you walk around, share a picnic, and do something you both enjoy."
Lady Abigail's eyes widened in expectation. Sara knew that look well enough. "Sara! We could ride with Joy and Romeo!"
"Romeo is dying, my lady. What of the new one Matthew rode back? Was his name Midnight?"
"Midnight! I love that horse!"
Sara silently applauded herself and looked around at the other people in the room. Tris, Selena and Miss Mya had their mouths open, while Nate just stared at the floor. Mr. Chiffent came inside, only to find a joy-filled Lady Abigail curled up in bed, asleep.