Chapter Five

Matt could not believe his luck. Not being in the royal family did have its faults, seeing as it made finding a ride harder, but saying that he was a messenger for Lady Everett helped. The vegetable cart driver, a man named Milan, had agreed to take Matt and his friends to the outsides of the peasant village.

"Sir, tell Lady Everett that I have her vegetables ready too. Can you take these to the castle kitchen?"
Matt nodded, and took the sack of vegetables from Milan, giving him a dollar. Milan looked at the money in his hand and shot Matt a smile.

When Matt got back, he dumped the food off in the kitchens, and Nate almost squealed in delight. He jumped and danced around, full of happiness and delight.

"Matt, we've needed fresh vegetables for weeks! How did you get these?"
"I was getting a ride for us to get back home. We're taking the vegetable cart. The owner, Milan, agreed to take us. He does not know that Lady Everett will be on board."
"You are wicked smart. It's no wonder why you're the smartest of our group, you lucky dog."
Matt smiled. If their parents heard them speaking like they were now, they would have their heads. Nate and Matt had long ago realized how some people were speaking in a way that they called slang. Both Nate and Matt had picked some of it up, and only used it when they were alone.

"Nate, can you tell Abigail that she should be ready by evening tomorrow? Tell Sara too. You know, the nurse who healed me?"
"This seems like a bad time to mention it, but Miss Sara said that we could ride the horses that we chose there. Apparently, Sara made Ben promise to build a horse stable for them to hide the horses. Ben probably got some of his family to start."
Matt paled. "Tell Sara that we cannot use the royal horses. The ones Sara would take are the racers."
Nate nodded and ran off. Even though they were all the same age, every guy in their group said Matt was the leader. Well, Sir Parker was before he left and became a knight fighting for Abigail's heart. Abigail's heart! Matt had totally forgotten about Sir Jack and Sir Griffin! Those two were the charmers, and all Matt wanted to do was slap either one. Sir Jackson was a certain charmer with his smooth-talk, and Sir Griffin was not really into ladies in general. Yes, he said there were girls, but he had told Matt he felt nothing for Abigail. At that statement earlier, Matt had wiped the non-existent sweat from his forehead and had smiled.

"Matthew Larsson! I need to talk to you!" Matt flinched at his last name. He'd have to talk to whoever tipped off Abigail.

He faced Abigail with fake confidence. "Yes, Abigail? Are you all right with my plans or shall we ride like Miss Sara wants?"
"I'd rather ride if you ask me. Oh wait, you did." Abigail smiled and Matt had to accept her sass. It was past time a woman came up and told him around.

"Fine, then. If you would rather spend your time in a saddle..."
"It gives me less time to think. If anything, I take any time to think less and just do for granted. Riding makes me focus on the horse and myself. By the way, I do not ride saddle-side. It discriminates ladies. Everyone thinks saddle-side is so proper while all you are doing is using all your energy to keep one's self on. I have to use it for social appearances, but I never ride saddle-side on my own."
"That's all right. We do not have any ladies who ride saddle-side in the peasant village either. Take whichever horses you like."
She smiled. She had such a sweet smile. "I thought I made the rules. I will take Aero, Joy, Chief, Dez, Casey, and Romeo. Aero is for Sara, Joy for me, Chief for Billy, Dez for Nate, Casey for Alissa if she still wishes to come, and Romeo for you."
Matt put his face in his hands. "Romeo? Are you kidding?"
Abigail gave a tart smile back. "Afraid not. All the horses know their names too. There is no hope. You two are great together. Romeo hardly lives up to his name. The horse should be called Firecracker."
Matt nodded and walked away, not before hearing Abigail's parting comment. "Do not forget Matt, you are nor rich or poor, so listen to me for the time being. As soon as we get to the peasant village, I will try to listen to most of the things you say."
Matt smiled, knowing that Lady Everett was right as rain. She was in charge for the time being. Matt knew that he would take over once they rode into the peasant village. Oh goodness. Taylor. She is going to think something is terribly wrong when she sees Abigail. Or sees how Abigail treats me.