Chapter Twenty-One

Matt had to be bluffing. He would not leave me that soon, would he? Abigail fought her new feelings and scowled at the wall.

"Abigail, could you go to the market? I am aware that you have never been, but I think you will need experience." Miss Mya was trying to get Abi out of her funk since Matt had told her of Miss Brown.

"Of course, Miss Mya. I will be happy to go. Is there any money?"
A grimace passed over Miss Mya's features. "Well, there would be. I am counting on you to pay today. I am fully aware that you have to work with Sir Christian and Sir Riley later, but a few hours at the market will do you good."
Abigail nodded. She had brought money from home and Lady Potter was paying her a fair wage. Since she had been working for six days, she had been paid six dollars. Abi had brought fifty from home. 'Twas a small fortune, and she would have to keep a lot if she was to ever settle here.
The walk to market was indeed nice, and Abigail recognized a lot of people. Some were servants from Mistress Alexia's household, and some were related to people she knew.

"Abigail!" Abi turned and saw Aurayia holding onto Matt's arm. He grimaced, and Abigail saw sorrow in his eyes. She wanted to punch him... where his concussion was. Matt's head was still wrapped up, and she saw the corner of a bandage peeking through his shirt.

"I heard you are working for Lord and Lady Potter! It must be a terribly hard job. Will you need any help?"
"No, Miss Brown. I am helping Lady Potter with her two youngest in the afternoons, and I am working for Mistress Alexia in the morning. I need a little more money."
Aurayia nodded, and her eyes were filled with hate. "So... how long did you last courting Matt Larsson?" She shooed Matt away, and he went to the vegetable cart. He did not buy anything, but he seemed to speak with the owner. Abigail focused her attention back to Aurayia, who was impatiently awaiting her response.
"Well Miss Brown, if you must know, Matthew and I courted for four days." She searched for other topics in her mind. "Does he not train for being a knight anymore?"
Matt walked up behind Abigail, and she glowered at him. "I have decided to take a temporary break for what will be a big problem."
"What kind of problem is that?"
"Sir Richard. His Grace has disappeared, and Sir Griffin and Sir Jackson are looking right now. If I had full ranks, I could help, but King Charles does not wish to have a knight with little knowledge looking."

"That is quite true. If I were King Charles, I would send you away without a second thought."
Matt's eyes burned with hatred and amusement. Aurayia flounced around Abigail and attached herself to Matt's side. He shot her a quick look of anger before composing himself. Aurayia did not see the change in him, but Abigail was the only one who noticed it. Abigail bid her goodbye and walked alongside the stands. She recognized the vegetable stand owner, Milan, because she had always sent a servant to get vegetables.

"Hello! May I please buy some vegetables for the Sunday meal?"
Milan threw her a confused look. "I know you. You're Lady Everett. What are you doing here? Why do you want my vegetables?"
"I will not deny that I came here to buy vegetables, and I thought I was clear in saying that I needed them for a Sunday meal. This food is also for a wedding this Saturday, and you are not helping my schedule."
"Sorry, Lady Everett. What would you like."
Abigail let the dangerous, menacing tone shape itself into her voice. "You will do better to not call me Lady Everett, considering I could decide your future with these salesmen."
Milan paled, and he muttered an apology. Satisfied, Abigail gave him a generous tip and walked off to explore other stands.
Abigail had purchased vegetables, peaches and apples, flour, a scarf, a chest to carry her things in, and bottles to hold water and healing liquids by the end of her morning. Abigail still held fifty dollars; everybody was making very cheap bargains for the most expensive things. The most expensive was the flour and it was one dollar and fifty cents!