Chapter Fifteen

The next day, Abigail went to work for Mistress Alexia. Mistress Alexia took one look at Abigail's injured arm and narrowed her eyes. Abi took a step back. "How did you know my arm was stabbed?"
Mistress Alexia's eyes widened, and she replied in heavily accented English. "I never knew your arm was stabbed, but the way you subconsciously hold it to your chest indicates something happened to it."
Abigail nodded. Mistress Alexia spoke again. "Miss, I will need to know some information before letting you and Sara onto my house staff."
"Who is the lady here?"
"Lady Potter?"
"Yes. Who is she?"
"Lady Hannah Potter is Lord Tristan Potter's wife. She is a gentle woman with the best intentions at heart. Lord and Lady Potter have three children. The eldest is Natalia. She is around your age, and she is engaged to Benjamin Monfery. Their middle child is a girl named Emily. She is twelve. Lord and Lady Potter's current youngest is a son named Christian. The young man is five."
"Why did you say Lord and Lady Potter's current youngest?"
"Lady Potter is expecting another baby. Sweet little Christian keeps telling me he wants a brother. The girls want another sister. Miss Natalia is to be wed tomorrow afternoon, and all of the house staff is invited. Now, tell me about where you are from."
"Both Sara and I worked for Lady Abigail Everett. I picked up the British accent there, and learned many things there."
"Can you clean?"
"Um, sort of."
"Cook?"

Abigail coughed into her fist.

"Sew?" Mistress Alexia was getting desperate.

"Um, Miss Mya taught me how to cook and sew."
"That is good."
Abigail nodded, and Mistress Alexia began to berate Sara. Abi looked around the office and found many photographs of a young man with grim looks on his face. Abi guessed that was Mistress Alexia's fiancé. He held his posture high, and Abi noticed how Mistress Alexia looked them constantly.

"Samantha, you and Sara are expected to work for me tomorrow morning at five. I expect Mya Chiffent to teach you cleaning and shelling peas today. There are a lot of peas to shell, and I want you to help with the other girls."
Sara and Abi nodded, and together they walked out. "Did you notice all the pictures of that same young man on Mistress Alexia's wall?"
"Yes, Abi! I think that is her boyfriend!"
They both giggled, and Abi turned her head to see Mistress Alexia looking after them. Abigail waved, and to her delight, Mistress Alexia returned the gesture. Mistress Alexia walked back into her study, and the two girls continued their walk to Miss Mya's home.

When they arrived, the Abigail heard crashing of plates and shouting. She walked in and saw Miss Mya yelling at Cameron. Sara gasped beside Abi, and Miss Mya noticed their arrival. She straightened her posture and glared once more at Cameron. Cameron shook his head and walked out of the house; holding Cole. Miss Mya shrieked and ran after her husband. He laughed and threw Cole into the air. To Abi's surprise, Miss Mya laughed, jumped up and caught her son. All arguments were forgotten over the baby. They kissed and went to their own work. Miss Mya cleaning, and Cameron harvesting.

"Abigail, could you sweep the porch off? Sara, dear, can you please wash the floors? Alissa, if you do not mind, the children's bedrooms are a terrible mess, and they need to be cleaned. Could you do that?"
Each girl replied with a "yes ma'am", and got to work. Abigail went into the closet and recovered the broom from under a pile of winter clothing. She went out front and began to sweep.

"Nathan! Do not forget that you need to work today!"
Nate came running from his room, trying to tie his shoes and slap his hat on at once. He kissed his mother's cheek and ran out the door after his father. Tris and Selena came downstairs, both wearing cleaning clothes. They too kissed Miss Mya's cheek and headed out the door. Tris threw a sly smile in Abi's direction, and Selena beamed.

"Good day, girls."
The sisters looked in shock at each other and laughed. Tris swatted at Abi's arm, and Selena hugged her tightly. "We are off to Mistress Alexia's. I will gather your uniforms if you wish." Selena was whispering into Abigail's ear, and Abi nodded.