Chapter Fourteen

Richard had to take revenge some way. His most favoured knight was dead, and when the doctor examined the body, he found the back was arched before Parker fell. Doctor Boyd looked at Parker's body yet again, and he said something grave. King Charlie gasped and staggered backwards.

"I am ever so sorry sir! Might I add, you may keep his hair. His mother, fiancée and other friends would appreciate it."
King Charles nodded and called the servant Annabell to get some scissors. When the servant brought them, King Charles handed them to Doctor Boyd. He cut some of Parker's red-brown locks and gathered them into a small box. He thrust it into Richard's hands, and he took it. Richard made up his mind to give it to everybody today.

He took his horse, Chopsticks, and before he rode off, King Charlie stopped him. "Richard! You will need a dog for the future, no? I heard one of the peasant's dogs has had puppies. I instruct you to buy one."
Richard nodded, and he rode off. Hours later, he arrived and saw Parker's mother walking in a daze. She was stumbling towards the lake, and Richard felt sudden fear.

"Miss! Stop! I have something for you!"
Parker's mother stopped, and she turned. Her face was a mixture of tears and regret. She recognized Richard as the duke who had taken Parker from her. She leaped and grabbed Richard's throat. Richard shook her off, and she burst into tears. "What would my Parker say?"
"Not to intrude my lady, but I feel he would tell you to get over it."
"There is no possibility he would say that. His death will be the last of me. It is."
"Do you have someone you can turn to ma'am?"
"Yes. My Parker's girlfriend. Aurayia."
"That's a different name."
"Yes, well. Here she is! Aurayia!"
A shorter girl with long brown hair came running towards Parker's mother. The girl was crying, and Mrs. McLean put her arms around her. "There, there. Parker-"

"We were going to elope tonight! He told me, and now he is dead! Who killed him?"
Richard spoke up, unable to be invisible anymore. "We are still looking for the murderer. Perhaps it was Jacob. He has killed his own comrades before."
Aurayia turned her swollen face towards Richard, and he looked into her baleful eyes. "I just want my Parker back. There is no possible way to explain all my emotions. I am confused, hurt, in love, sad, and above all, I am fearful. Who will protect me now? Parker always scared the other men off because he was a knight. Oh, Parker! Why did you leave me? I love you!" Aurayia broke down into tears, and she cried into Mrs. McLean's shoulder.

Richard looked around for Lukas Everett and found him at Carl Larsson's home. Both men stood when Richard entered and bowed. Richard nodded and gestured for them to sit. He saw two people in the corner of the home. Richard recognized them. The two were Matthew and Samantha. Samantha glanced at Richard and slipped further into the shadows. "Come out. I will not hurt you."
Matthew spoke up, entering the light. "I'm sorry sir. Samantha has trouble with higher classed people and with people that she does not know. It's okay Sammy. I'm here." Matthew walked into the corner where she was, and she smiled up at him. Richard found her striking. She was laid back, calm and beautiful in a way Abigail would have been.

"Samantha, you remind me of my goddaughter. She is a lot like you. If I ever find her again, you two will have to meet."
Samantha nodded and shrunk further into the darkness. Richard squinted, and shrugged. He turned to Lukas. "Luke, I am afraid I have to tell you something. I remembered I had not told you as soon as Parker McLean died."
Lukas nodded and glanced at Samantha. She had paled and collapsed in Matthew's arms. He carried her into what Richard guessed was the guest bedroom.

"Men, I am so sorry to intrude, but my goddaughter Abigail is missing, and-"

Lukas stood, anger flickering across it. "You mean to say that my desert flower is gone again? I told you to protect her!" Lukas punched the wall hard, and Richard feared he would lose more than blood if he did that again. Matthew came running from the guest room and gestured for Richard to follow him outside.